Donny and Marie Osmond sing "Reelin' In the Years"

13 Likes

There’s an episode of Absolutely Fabulous where Eddie Monsoon breaks into the long-locked bedroom of her worshipped, estranged son, Serge. Her recollection of her handsome son’s looks are shattered when, in the room, she finds a photograph of her son as a young adolescent. She is shocked and disappointed to discover that he looked like Donny Osmond!

1 Like

One of the best uses of a sample ever.

1 Like

“Ice skating Mormons” has to be peak whiteness, right? This makes Hee Haw look like Showtime at the Apollo.

2 Likes

What’s not to love about this opening segment from the Donny & Marie Show

Umm … the stinking cheesiness?

2 Likes

Wow, Dynamite magazine. Don’t recall if I had a subscription, but I sure had more than a few issues over the years.

And yeah, celeb-crush.
And yeah, I hate-clicked too (love that word!).
And yeah, I lasted just about one minute with that creamsicle set of outfits.

2 Likes

At least they weren’t purple.

2 Likes

I have this memory of Paul Lynde being on the show but the interwebs are telling me I’m mistaken, and that instead the Osmonds guested on his comedy specials.

Same here.

God. Watching this now it reminds me of a slightly updated version of the Lawrence Welk show.

2 Likes

You win. A quick IMDB search shows he was on 22 episodes, and guest-starred in practically every sitcom imaginable in the 60s and 70s.
Tell the interwebs to check the “self” column under filmography.

Bonus: He sued The Hollywood Squares for defamation (?) and won 10 million dollars.

3 Likes

(I was lazy-- I just looked him up on wiki and forgot about imdb. But at least I enjoyed reading some of his best quips from Hollywood Squares.)

1 Like

I never thought of Donny and Marie that way, but I agree. Plus, you reminded me of my all-time favorite Lawrence Welk piece: Gail Farrell and DIck Dale performing the Brewer and Shipley classic, One Toke Over the Line. Cognitive dissonance FTW!

4 Likes

I thought the very same thing when I saw this yesterday. I have a vague recollection of having watched this when it first aired.

We are very old.

3 Likes

Well, to be fair it had the phrase, “…sweet Jesus.” I’m sure they thought it was fine country gospel song.

4 Likes

The band was jazz musicians. I suspect they knew.

3 Likes

Did I like this cover? Maybe no so much. But I quite enjoyed Donny hiking with Kevin Nealon. Donny and Marie are very aware of the cheesiness they represented and are very much living in the present day. He seems very grounded and funnier than I remember.

Also OMG

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.