Donny and Marie Osmond in "Star Wars"

Originally published at: Donny and Marie Osmond in "Star Wars" | Boing Boing

2 Likes

I can’t bring myself to watch it. I am worried I will be forever traumatized and be unable to unsee it. Let me know if I should reconsider.

2 Likes

I hope he sings Convoy!!

4 Likes

This definitely wasn’t the best variety episode they made, they were huge fans, and incredibly grateful to Lucasfilm for allowing them to use
Official characters /costumes. fun fact, the dancing storm troopers were actually the Osmond brothers.

4 Likes

I’m alone in the house and STILL had to look over my shoulder to make sure no one caught me watching it.

4 Likes

Or something from Big Top Pee-Wee!

3 Likes

Me and Bobby McFett?

6 Likes

For some reason I loved 70s variety shows as a kid (I even had a soft spot for Pink Lady and Jeff during its short run). Probably because they were so colorful and shiny and mostly funny and appealing to me at ages 5-8. I am pretty sure I saw this when it first ran (I would have demanded to see anything Star Wars-related if I had seen a promo for it on TV), and I’m pretty sure I was mesmerized.

ETA: while I was also entranced by the Holiday Special, in retrospect this is a much better production, IMO!

And not a speck of purple for the entire segment. :man_shrugging:

I was 10 years old at the time, and the only reason I watched stuff like this is because many of us only had four channels to choose from, one of them being PBS.

2 Likes

???

1 Like

Luxury. Growing up in a rural valley really limited reception and choice. I was happy when it was clear enough that I could manage to watch Dr. Who on PBS. Otherwise it was just two channels.

Donny had/has a theme, and that was/is the color purple.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTNOLutL4l2/

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.