Donny and Marie Osmond sing "Reelin' In the Years"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/14/donny-and-marie-osmond-sing.html

5 Likes

In terms of singing Donny peaked at age 12

6 Likes

Ok this video is just too much. Who is supposed to be singing once Donny and Marie stop? The Ice Angels? Somebody had to record that whole part.

And why is there always immediate applause whenever a dancing line joins arms and does Rockettes-like high kicks? Is that a law of the universe or something? It’s not the most impressive thing dancers do by a long shot. Yeah difficult with ice skates on but still…!

And the opening bit has to be the cringiest comedy bit in the history of television. Poor Ruth Buzzy and Buddy Hackett having to be on the same show as that.

2 Likes

OMG. Steely Dan is one of my favorite bands and this made me vurp a little.

15 Likes

You misspelled cringe I think.

2 Likes

I admit that I hate-clicked on this. Was not disappointed.

9 Likes

Three private networks and one public one, and this was standard fare at the time.

Still, I won’t deny my huge celebrity crush on Marie when I was a kid.

d2ceda867a63f533ad746d7942398f42--magazine-covers-marie

13 Likes

For certain definitions of ejoyed.

9 Likes

I made it about 20 seconds.

7 Likes

2 oddly-relevant-to-this-post favorites:

Weird Al - White and Nerdy

The Dewey Cox Show

3 Likes

Should have gone with “Show Biz Kids.”

4 Likes

Holy guacamole, we hit max 70’s with those burnt oranges, butterfly collars and that hair.

I’m pretty sure this is what drove Walter Becker to drug addiction.

12 Likes

Aww no acapella guitar solo like happens whenever the song comes on in my car.

It helps to imagine Jack Lemmon and Tony Curtis at the end of the line of ice dancers.

5 Likes

That triggers a whole lotta weird. Their little haircuts, the matching costumes and moves, almost going full tap dance so you’re not really sure what year you’re in.

1 Like

Hey you got some Donny in my Marie! No - you got Marie in my Donny!

1 Like

Is it supposed to sound like that?

I guess “fantastic cover” is a super subjective term.
It’s one thing for a hit song to devolve into elevator music over 40 years, but shows like this were doing it in real time.

1 Like

Donny’s not all bad.

3 Likes