Don't hate the drinking fountain button — it's just misunderstood

8 Likes

So the French are weird, especially when in German…

Hell, all of Europe is weird! But then again, so is America… :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

Great! Just need another button to bring the temperature of the park down 5 degrees F and one to defoul any rusted parts of the enamel fixture, one for getting the mowers to slack off mowing thrice a week in high summer, really a bit much…

4 Likes

The French did bring us the Magic Roundabout.

3 Likes

In Swindon?

(/s)

3 Likes

Lapin Alert

3 Likes

They’ve been in peoples heads for decades

7 Likes

Early drafts has Josh Linn tell us to “go screw it ourselves”

3 Likes

I’m surprised that there are any drinking fountains left. During Covid, I found that they were all turned off when I was unavoidably traveling, and some were clearly being removed entirely. I blamed Big Bottled Water and just brought an empty into the restrooms, where fortunately the water was still on. I’m guessing they’re back now? At least the ones in places that don’t sell bottled water.

1 Like

Dandy, or Beano?

2 Likes

Used to be Beezer. Apparently taken up by Beano later.

3 Likes

It’s only Contagious Waters if it’s from the Broad Street Pump, everything else is fontromancy and civic water. I know because I checked the Waters-Klewer.

3 Likes

This wonderful weirdness is why I decided to remain in Germany after my time in the Army was up. I vastly prefer their weirdness to the weirdness of the USA I grew up in. (Iowa and Illinois in the 1970s and 1980s)

I honestly had forgotten all about drinking fountains, as they aren’t a thing in Germany. For a while I missed them, and then when I visited my parents a couple of years ago I saw one in the airport, and was mildly surprised at how they had evolved to also fill water bottles.

Weird.

1 Like
2 Likes

Sounds like you have a real handle on it.

2 Likes

Technically, Swindon is the place it is today due to French influence. It rose to prominence because the Great Western Railway chose it as a site for its works, and the GWR was headed up of course by Isembard Kingdom Brunel, whose father, Marc was indeed French.

4 Likes
3 Likes

A great old Detroit band had a fantastic song called Genius From the Waist Down.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.