Don't hate the drinking fountain button — it's just misunderstood

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/01/dont-hate-the-drinking-fountain-button-its-just-misunderstood.html

4 Likes

:thinking:

14 Likes

It’s thinking little persons all the way down…

29 Likes

I like how a massive metaphysical bombshell is just discreetly hiding in the middle of the post.

14 Likes

The problem is that the stream height is quite sensitive to water pressure. I’ve used drinking fountains where the water moved up and down several times a second, based on what the pranksters were doing with the knob on the one next to it.

7 Likes

Wait… when did the little man escape from the fridge? Who will turn the light on in there now!!!

27 Likes

Growing up in Italy we would watch Siamo Fatti Così (Il était une fois … la Vie / Once Upon a Time: Life), a French cartoon all about the human body. It was actually quite awesome and we learned all about the immune system and blood cells and stuff.

But up in the brain there was a big control room, captained by… another person. And he – with a long white beard and everything – made all the decisions.

(As a kid with a philosophy PhD father, I then learned the word “homunculus” by the age of five.)

Siamo_fatti_così

12 Likes

14 Likes

I find it hard to hate them when so few fountains are around. It’s kind of magical when they do pop up. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

For some of us, the thinking stops just below the waist.

2 Likes

I still might still start carrying a small screwdriver for those fountains that can barely push a usable stream.

1 Like

tenor-2880850130

9 Likes

Possibly useful information:
Locate the push button on the front of the drinking fountain. This contains a regulator screw. Place a small screwdriver in the hole of the button and turn the screw clockwise to increase the pressure and raise the stream height. Ideally, the stream should hit the basin of the fountain about 6 1/2 inches from the drinking spout with a stream height about one inch above the bubbler guard.

11 Likes

For some reason Destroyer by The Kinks just popped into my head.

And, public drinking fountains, eww.

I’m sure they’re perfectly safe but as usual my germaphobe brain nopes out.

3 Likes

THANK YOU! I clicked the link and even the patent diagram wasn’t helpful in this regard!

3 Likes

So not only do you know about the little person in my head, but you’ve clearly been talking to them. Interesting.

7 Likes

Germans are weird… :thinking: Sorry, German mutants… You weirdos rock…

3 Likes

It’s a French series (but TV stations all over Europe showed it).

9 Likes

Just one guy?

5 Likes

Thanks for the flashback! I can still remember some scenes from the Leukemia episode I saw when I must’ve been 8. Those white blood cells bullying everyone…

(which became relevant again decades later when a friend developed Leukemia…)

I should see if I can watch it again somewhere.

4 Likes