Man injured after attempting to sip from Geneva's famous fountain and getting launched into the air

Originally published at: Man injured after attempting to sip from Geneva's famous fountain and getting launched into the air | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Man generally thought to be a bit of a dumbass proves without a doubt he’s far stupider.

9 Likes

A quick Google search suggests an “attack line” of fire hose can handle 120-180 gallons per minute.

This fountain puts out 110 gallons per second!

I’ve heard of trying to drink from a fire hose, but this put that to shame. I wonder just how drunk the guy was to think that this was in any way a good idea.

10 Likes

firehose-fire

6 Likes

The man was taken to the hospital but no word on his condition.

his condition is he’s a moron.

16 Likes

Was waiting for the “drink from the firehose” comments and GIFs, was not disappointed.

3 Likes

Every time I see that fountain I am reminded of this.

1 Like

Could be worse. Imagine if he tried to use it as a bidet instead of a drinking fountain.

4 Likes

At 110 gallons/sec, that enema would last the next 3 months.

4 Likes

In one D&D campaign I played in, one of the players drank an unknown potion. The DM had to pause the game for a minute or two to figure out what effect drinking Oil of Slipperiness would have. I imagine using the fountain as a bidet would unblock him and clear his whole digestive track much like that Oil did my friend’s character. :grin:

2 Likes

2 Likes

Here’s what the bottom end of Geneva’s famous fountain looks like:

From close up the thing is loud. Standing near it can already give you the creeps. How anyone can get it into their head to try to drink from it is beyond me.

4 Likes

When I was a kid, you could walk up to the jet anytime, there was just a simple chain barrier around it.

Then, because of idiots like this one, they closed the entire pier. Only guided visits are allowed now, AFAIK.

The dude either had a bolt cutter, climbed a 2m high fence, or swam around in waters infested with duck fleas. I hope it’s the latter and he suffers dozens of bites.

Five hundred litres (130 US gal) of water per second are jetted to an altitude of 140 metres (460 ft) by two 500 kW pumps, operating at 2,400 V, consuming one megawatt of electricity and costing 510,000 CHF per year. The water leaves the ten-centimetre (4 in) nozzle at a speed of 200 km/h (55 m/s). At any given moment, there are about 7,000 L (1,800 US gal) of water in the air.

Literally seven metric tons of water in the air at any given moment. Yowza!

1 Like

Oral and Maxillofacial surgeons have to eat too, so at least there’s that.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.