Dooce quits mommyblogging amid toxic pressure from advertisers

I must be a total loser. Not only have I never heard of this person, I have never heard of any other famous bloggers, except the ones who live here. Better get busy studying!

4 Likes

Okay, but those are entirely separate statements.

2 Likes

Well, the empire Dooce built has been in slow decline for quite a while, not necessarily through any fault of hers, but mostly because blogging as a “thing” has been in decline overall.

http://dooce.com/press/

Note that press kinda stops around 2011.

2 Likes

Well yes, but she was only ever on TV to talk about blogging or her blog or how blogging has affected her life. So not really? Again, my only point was that she’s a famous mommy blogger. Famous enough to get booked on the daily talk show circuit.

1 Like

She was also internet famous for a bit when she apparently got fired for stuff she had written on her blog. “Getting Dooced” was a term there for a while, back in the early oughts, referring to people who get fired for something they wrote on their blog.

3 Likes

It’s easy to remain an “independent voice”.

All you have to do is pay your own way, or ask those who agree with your “voice” to support you. Lots of blogs and podcasts use Paypal, Patreon, etc. to do this, and seem to be getting along okay.

If you decide you want to “make a living” doing this however, you may have to dance to the tune of who pays the piper. Why this is upsetting, or even news, to anyone is a mystery to me.

2 Likes

Does she even game, bro?

1 Like

If you want to just say what you want to say and do what you want to do, that’s great. But you don’t get to be upset when people aren’t interested in just paying you to do whatever you want to do and say whatever you want to say. If she were in another type of job, we wouldn’t even be discussing it. Your employers asks you to do something, you either do it, get fired, or quit. It’s no different because she’s a blogger. If she doesn’t want to promote products, okay, don’t promote them. If she doesn’t want to change her content or her tone or her message to suit sponsors, okay, keep it real. But accept that you’re going to have to pay your own way and/or get a regular job and do your blog as a hobby instead of an income. If you want to get paid, you’re going to have to either find people willing to pay for what you want to do or be willing to do what people want to pay you to do.

1 Like

Not quite the same as any other job, though. Effectively, she got hugely popular by writing a certain way, and that attracted the sponsors, who then basically said “Hey, you know that thing that makes you unique and has directly contributed to the amount of traffic your site gets? Stop doing that”. To which she really should have said “Shut up, dummies - if I do that my popularity will drop and then you guys won’t be getting your money’s worth. I know what I’m doing here.” It may (would) have led to less sponsors, but they would have been higher quality sponsors. But maybe growth would have been slower, and it’s hard to turn down money when people are throwing it at you. Particularly when you’ve got two kids, two dogs, (formerly) a husband and a big house to deal with.

8 Likes

But recently? All her press stuff is from 2011.

Being comfortable with advertisers asking for the moon doesn’t mean everyone else will/should be.

Do you have any recommendations for 'zines that promote independent makers and writers? I would like to add you to my professional network on Linked-In.

9 Likes

Right. I guess we start nuking advertisers from orbit, then.

Only way to be sure.

3 Likes

Is this a reference to something? I’ve seen it twice on BB.

2 Likes

To the BB article http://boingboing.net/2015/09/22/hello-id-like-to-add-you.html
and subsequent typically constructive and illuminating discussion on the bbs.

4 Likes

Thanks. Well, yikes. I’ve been using it to apply for jobs.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.