DOOM: Twitter's panic-driven rate-limiting gets them dropped out of Google Search

Yes. It updates in minutes to hours for most popular sites, especially those likely to be related to current events or trending / viral content like Twitter.

11 Likes

DisasterElno

13 Likes

Considering the tweet they quoted is “ProudAmerican”, they’re probably already on it.

10 Likes

Though maybe this Elon:

He’s not so sanguine about what’s going on, he just doesn’t know what the fuck he’s doing and why he’s breaking things.

8 Likes

Except it’ll be the banks (and Saudis) selling it to Yahoo, after Elno can’t keep up with the interest payments and they take possession. (It’ll be interesting to see how they explain losing $10 billion on the deal…)

8 Likes

Here a Toot that shines some light on Elon Musk management*:

https://pleroma.pch.net/objects/5a9bfb64-6589-4e91-a872-c712db161daa

tldr: SpaceX (and supposedly Tesla) has a whole layer of employees dedicated to handling Elon Musk, preventing him to do damage and meanwhile letting him believe he is in charge.

*“Management of” not “management by”

11 Likes

Musk management has its limits, though. He insisted on lighting the world’s biggest spliff on 4/20 and nobody stopped him.

7 Likes

A business forecast to earn $3 Billion this year from advertising, with debt service of $1.2 Billion

Wait…what?

(Surely there’s a typo)

3 Likes

Sounds in the ballpark to me, assuming advertising doesn’t crater more after the last fail. If you were talking about the debt, that honestly seems a bit low, I had heard $1B for interest, but that could be bad memory and/or incorrect article.

3 Likes

That sounds pretty steep, but then, he did borrow the money from bone sharks.

4 Likes

Purportedly they are paying $300 million/quarter. The forecast for revenue was $3B for 2023. He will miss the revenue number. Wonder what the bone saw folks say about the debt.

6 Likes

Also, debts aren’t their only cost. Twitter was veering between a small profit and a small loss per quarter prior to the buyout, primarily on an ad income around the 7 billion mark. Musk massively increased their debt and the repayment schedule on the debt and while he’s slashed costs between firing people and not paying bills, the level of income from Twitter Blue is nowhere near replacing the collapse of their ad revenue. Musk has been claiming they’re more or less breaking even but does anyone actually believe him? He’d be crowing it from the high hills if they were making a profit and there’s no way he’d admit to a loss.

6 Likes

ETA: let’s try that again shall we?

Nothing as majestic as this though:
download

1 Like

My mistake.
I was thinking about the original algorithm for google, where it analyzed how many pages linked to the ones being ranked, and i thought it was like google updated almost all of its registers every few days.

2 Likes

$10 billion to eliminate one of the largest platforms for community organization and non-controlled news is, while not a great bargain, probably money well spent for the oligarchy.

7 Likes

That $1.2 Billion is debt service, i.e. the interest he has to pay on it, not the debt itself

1 Like

Has there been any indication of the required payment on principle, or is this “interest only” deal for a while?

I’ve no idea, I haven’t been following it that closely

how about this one,

5 Likes

That is awesome, and thank you sir!! :rofl:

2 Likes