Doomsday glacier "hanging on by its fingernails" scientist says

Remember - this summer is the coolest summer on record for the rest of your life.

9 Likes

Well - that probably isn’t true. There will be outliers where a summer is still hot, but not as hot as last year.

But yes, the earth is warming. Everyone will be effected in some way.

1 Like

That is probably the dumbest thing Ben Shapiro has ever said, and that’s a really high bar because he’s said a lot of really dumb shit.

8 Likes

even if there were no sea level rise, building at the water line would still be irresponsible because of storm surges and tsunami

“heads in the sand” is a relevant metaphor

6 Likes

Florida is particularly screwed over by sea level rises because a) the entire state is basically at sea level now, and b) the bedrock is porous so sea walls and any other measures to hold back the ocean are completely useless. But yeah, anything that causes increases in water level, even temporarily, and the more valuable, coastal parts of the state (e.g. Miami) are hosed at minimum.

4 Likes

And “within the next century,” is more about our unwillingness to make predictions over a longer timeframe. But at least for sea level rise, it looks like REALLY CATASTROPHIC levels of sea level rise are already baked in over the next 500 years.

When somebody says things like “one foot of sea level rise doesn’t seem that bad” I point out that isn’t just one foot higher every day, but it is also one foot added to the storm surge when there is a storm.

4 Likes

Yeah, there’s that, too. A combination of being quite conservative in predictions and limiting the temporal scope of those predictions.

Unfortunately I think a century probably covers milestones such as “no longer able to have agriculture” and “end of civilization as we know it” on current trajectories.

When someone says that, I just figure they don’t know what they’re talking about, because it is quite bad, by itself. (I mean, 8 inches of post-industrial rise has been problematic, despite having had a long time to deal with it.) Even before you take into account that sea level rise due to loss of coastal ice means that sea level rise isn’t evenly distributed, being higher in the areas currently inhabited…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.