Door Game Meta Topic

Ah super, thank you. That clears up a lot for me :smile:

2 Likes

We is rollinā€™ again, by the way.

1 Like

Brew?

@Donald_Petersen, @penguinchris, @JonasEggeater Could someone double-check the round 4 form? After choosing mission one, I also see the extra answer fields for mission 2. Let me know if I should just ignore this.

1 Like

You can have one in celebration afterwards, I understand Fleetwood has them brewing a nice amber ale up there.

1 Like

^^^ This ^^^

5 Likes

The Mission Four Repost is Fantastic

Fun narrative, clear exposition of choices, links to where to find more information.

Aces

Since weā€™re on the meta-thread, I would like to make suggestion for a slightly different way to handle the Mission 4 results that might both ease Donaldā€™s workload and give players more scope for collaborative narrative. Or might not. your call.

Round 4 is a great set-up. Mission 1 is the BDW olympics, Mission 3 is BDW meets GTA, and Mission 2 give casual players a way to stay engaged. COOL.

My proposal is to harness this great set-up to our players creativity by splitting the results post into two posts separated in time :

• a ā€œdice rollingā€ summary
  • a delay, during which the players provide their own narrative-consistent stories
  • a narrative heavy post that gets the plot moving forward again

The key idea is that there would be a long delay between the two posts during which players would could fill in their own stories, informed by their own mission outcome.

The fist post would be brief numerical summaries of the ā€œdice rollingā€ results with perhaps a sentence fragment of description. This needs to be SHORT. A tweet, not a blog post.

• ā€œshame about the .50 cal jammingā€
  • ā€œWay to show your ass to that Raider. BOOMā€
  • "who knew there were still Zoot Suiters in East LA ? ".

Encourage players to create their own stories with something like ā€œReports are still coming in and itā€™s all very confusing. Post what you experienced.ā€ This has the advantage getting the ā€œDice rollingā€ results posted quickly, , while buying time for Donald to construct the labor-intensive ā€œnarrativeā€ posts that drive the game

Allow day or so for the Jack Burtons and Majorā€™s and Channings and other highly engaged players to post their own narrative-compatible character story. Should be a hoot, and they might encourge some less engaged players to get more involved. I could certainly see myself PMing a less active player and posting co-ordinated stories. Later, the second post with the full write-up for the mission results only needs to ā€œcorrectā€ elements of the driverā€™s stories that conflict with the overall narrative arc. No need for a full writeup for those characters. Where a driverā€™s stories conflicts with the overall narrative arc, the corrections should be easy ā€“ everyone knows itā€™s confusing out there, and Drivers can be such braggarts.

Splitting the results across two posts could potentially lighten Donaldā€™s work load and drive a helluva lot of player interaction during what has been the ā€œdead timeā€ when Donald was doing the immense labor building the narrative results post.

Just a thought.

8 Likes

And another excellent one at that.

Iā€™ve always been afraid of manhandling the narrative too much. Yeah, I came up with the scenario and the route and the goal, but this is our story. I always want you guys to drive the narrative at least as much as I do!

So I do believe Iā€™m gonna adopt this policy, and see how it comes out. Thanks for the suggestion!

4 Likes

heh. I might have pre-scripted my ā€œperformanceā€ in the ā€œaudience chamberā€ because I wanted to do just that. I might have engaged in a bit of foreshadowing.

Yes, this type of structure of {GM roll} ā†’ {Players React} - > {GM Continues Narrative} appeals to my sensibility.

3 Likes

Yes, this happened to me and I also filled out a bug report. I couldnā€™t proceed without picking options, which resulted in a nasty electric shock.

2 Likes

Apparently Iā€™m a ā€œpicker.ā€

@Donald_Petersen there may need to be some edits to the form in case some mechanics get spoiled.

So I didnā€™t see anywhere on the form to talk about repairsā€¦are you just going to pull info direct from the mechanics and the repair thread? Ditto for the auction?

Char, yes?

@davide405 and I have been waiting to make sure all repair reports have been submitted.

We have authorized each other to spend each others RP, so the repair thread for round 4 will be resolved before mission time.

1 Like

I did indeed make an error in the form logic that sent anyone signing up for mission 1 to the mission 2 hacking questions. Itā€™s fixed now and if you chose mission 1 and continued through the hacking options, you got to see something you wouldnā€™t have but the possible effects wonā€™t apply to you.

I would of course appreciate nobody discussing anything they may learn from the form until everyone has a chance to do it!

2 Likes

Yeah, weā€™re going to take everything regarding upgrades and repairs from the threads this round. I should mention that on the form.

1 Like

Me thinks itā€™s already too lateā€¦

Whoops, catā€™s outta the bag I guess. My fault. But thereā€™s more to the puzzle yetā€¦

I fully support this as a stopgap for this round. We know how much damage is out there, we know how many RP our mechanics have amongst them, we know that some of the damage (points above 75% HP on foreign cars) can not be repaired at all, and that only one specific mechanic can repair domestics to 100%

Optimizing a puzzle like that is a task ill-suited to a committee, and this particular committee is communicating by email and BBS posts.

My suggestion: Let the GMs decide this round, and pick up with lessons learned for the next.

EDIT: words in italics are changed from original post to correct outright error and improve clarity.

2 Likes

I think I know what weā€™ve been eating:

1 Like