Dora the Explorer live action trailer

“Swiper, no swiping!” - What - this is a movie about Tinder?

5 Likes

I rented a car from this kid who basically looked exactly like you’d expect Diego to look at 22. His name was Diego. The Ratel kit was crazy about Diego at the time, so I had the damned theme song stuck in my head (or worse, “Click the Camera”) 24/7.

Didn’t say anything, though. Figured he got enough grief from his co-workers.

6 Likes

My local movie theater has been linking to that trailer since early this year, not aware that this is NOT the real thing :smiley:

5 Likes

The fact that this movie has been made is fecking awesome!! Now that I’m semi retired, if I were ever to do a humanities masters degree, my thesis would be “Race and Gender Politics in Dora the Explorer”.

(Also, I’d like to point out we Americans are totally lost on the wee rhyme the rest of the world enjoys: “Dorah the Explorah”. To us Yanks it’s “Dorah the ExplorERRR”.)

:smiley:

2 Likes

To be honest, I’d rather see this version:

1 Like

Ireland and and the English West Country don’t seem to have any trouble with their /ɹ/ sounds either :pirate_flag:

2 Likes

This movie is odd, i would’ve figured Dora would be best played by someone much younger however wouldn’t it make more sense to just make a CG movie rather than live action? Oh well i’m not the target audience for this but i do wonder what kids think about this.

I have this theory about Map, that it shows way through time and space in much like in Steven King’s Mr.s Todd’s Shortcut. That’s the reason why Dora couldn’t look at Map herself and needed the viewers to look at Map for her, because a person from within Dora’s reality can’t look at Map themselves without going insane.

I have this story about Dora in my head. Years after the kids have stopped watching she is lost in a twisted hellscape, fighting demons with a crudely fashioned pike, trying to find her way home, trying not to look at Map or reach into Backpack, but occasionally having to do so and losing a bit of her sanity each time. (ETA: Boot is dead as many species of monkey don’t live past 20 or so) Every now and then Swiper (who is obviously some kind of trickster god) shows up to keep her company/taunt her.

Oh, and the Island of Sodor is a concentration camp for AIs with developmental disabilities.

10 Likes

Dor-la the Explor-la when my kid was 3.

2 Likes

Either that or Map is a 3rd dimensional construct. Dora and anyone else from her plane of reality would be unable to perceive any higher dimensions in the same way we are unable to perceive anything higher than the 3rd dimension.

3 Likes

Except you don’t look at a map, you talk to it.

1 Like

The series ended 13 years ago. I think the idea is that Dora has grown up a bit.

1 Like

Also it might not be great to encourage live action 4-8 year olds to stare down angry wild animals, swing across burning pits filled with stakes and spears, or otherwise disrespect indigenous peoples places of worship to bring an artifact back to the MUSEUM.

Well, maybe it would be AWESOME but life-ending and liability creating?

5 Likes

The role she was born to play.

1 Like

Oh! So. . .OG Jumanji?

2 Likes

I mean its a cartoon, it’s not like animated characters are subjected to aging. I just thought it was a curious decision to make this live action and make her older, but i do wonder what kids think about this.

At first, I thought they must have gone with a young-looking adult in the role to avoid whatever extra legal hassles that are involved with child actors, but she’s only 17 now, so that obviously wasn’t the case.

1 Like

Also Scotland and the north of England, although it is dying out in the latter

1 Like

My point is that I think it’s aimed at kids who grew up with the show during its original run or close to it. Basically it’s not aimed at the current Nick Jr. audience.

time bandits map

7 Likes