Double-layered D20

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/29/double-layered-d20.html

3 Likes

It works 70% of the time, 100% of the time?

9 Likes

It’s pretty, but…just roll 2d20. Those settle right pretty much every time.

7 Likes

But that’s not steampunk

6 Likes

One die for rolling with/with out advantage, eh? Interesting. But with MY luck, $80 seems a bit steep for me to consistently be rolling double 1’s.

5 Likes

D20s don’t seem to mind me so much. It’s D6s that fuckin’ hate me. Want snake eyes? Pass those little fuckers over, I’ll get you snake eyes alright.

4 Likes

I’ve seen how this goes while buying razor blades. I’ll wait for the triple-layered D20.

7 Likes

Possibly an more reliable way of doing a double layered D20 would be to have a setup like a magic 8 ball, so the inner die would float up to the view port up top. The overall die would need to be somewhat bigger and robust enough to be able to handle being rolled but i think i find that concept way more interesting than this double layered die. Something that’s about half the size of a magic 8 ball might work.

Also bonus: Magic 8 balls already use a D20 for the fortune thing inside.

There is this but it’s not meant to be rolled

2 Likes

Initial comments somewhat disappointing. Fine, I’ll do it myself:

8 Likes

Even with the context of a die in a die, my brain defaults to completely different meanings for “you can roll while you roll” (e.g. some sort of device for making a joint while driving)

1 Like

Great for the Witch class with it’s Misfortune Hex, that requires the afflicted to roll twice and take the lower of the two.

1 Like

Because that’s what every gamer wants, a die that is even more difficult to read.

3 Likes

If you check out their site, this seems to be their oeuvre. Elaborately designed dice that certainly look pretty, but are nigh unreadable. My plain old plastic dice look good, and they’re readable from across the table.

1 Like

I would rather have $80 of dice than an $80 die.

2 Likes

That’s just a sign you need to start playing GURPS instead of D&D.

2 Likes

I don’t know this one seems pretty readable.

Note that i make no claims as to its usability.

1 Like

I still have, kicking around somewhere, my pair of D10’s, which I coloured the numbers on, filling with white first, then putting dayglo orange on top, to make absolutely certain I could read the percentage easily from across the table!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.