Doubletree Portland apologizes to racially harassed guest Jermaine Massey, manager will investigate

No, I disagree. Discriminating in the provision of public accommodations on the basis of race is against the law. The police exist to uphold the law. People rights come before property rights.

11 Likes

I agree as well, but thought Oregon’s laws allowed it in this case, but @DukeTrout seems to have more details, will edit.

Easy there, Tiger. You’re a security guard for a hotel - not John McClane watching over Nakatomi Plaza.

9 Likes

Auto-like for Die Hard reference

1 Like

In the original post and or comments it appeared that he had all this crap to deal with plus they were not refunding him. It does not even begin to cover the problem but the entire “we are going to be racist shits and keep your money “ seemed to really be going that little bit extra in that racist customer service. I too was curious if they had bothered to deal with this minor but easy part of the problem.

6 Likes

Agreed, that’s a good quote, and nice photo to go with it. Thoroughly stolen, and thank you.

Update #1 from the Oregonian newspaper: The security guard was identified as one Earl Meyers, for those who wanted to know. The manager on duty was not identified.

Update #2 from the Oregonian newspaper: The security guard and the manager involved in the incident have been placed on leave pending an investigation by third parties hired by the hotel.

Putting on my “former police dispatcher” hat, I can tell you from experience that, if you, as a security guard or manager, called the police and said that so-and-so was refusing to leave your private property after being told to, the police would definitely come out and tell so-and-so that they had to leave or risk being arrested for trespassing, regardless of skin color (although I’m certain this happens to black and brown people more than white people). That’s the way the system is set up.

So I think this is on the employees of the hotel, not the cops. Notice that the cops allowed Mr. Massey to get his stuff from his room and actually offered him a ride to another hotel (they wouldn’t have made him ride in the back of the police car; that’s only where arrested people go), which is, all things considered, pretty nice behavior for cops.

7 Likes

I am not generally one to celebrate the misfortune of others but Earl seriously needs to be not only unemployed, but unable to find anyone willing to hire him.

4 Likes

i can easily envision a scenario where the cops get called, the situation gets defused, and the person stays on.

cops often mediate disputes without arrests. ( edit: and in this case, the unstated power to arrest. )

that said, the outcome of arguing with police can depend greatly on your skin color ( as well as your perceived social economic status in general. ) statistics of police encounters bare that out.

in this situation, the cops didn’t compound the situation - but they certainly didn’t help to make things better. they are supposed to be there for all people, not just property owners. and the fact they didn’t didnt shoot anybody doesn’t mean they did a great job.

17 Likes

5 Likes

Now hang on here. that’s kinda racist too. It’s like saying “Well, he sure does dress up well for a black guy”

1 Like

I read the comment as “I’m glad the photo that’s getting published is of him smiling in a suit, and isn’t the usual media tack of taking the least savory picture you can find of a person of color, and using that one”…, not:

10 Likes

( i am too scared of hell raiser to like this. also, i like this. )

5 Likes

Indeed. It’s what lobbies are for.

3 Likes

I read about this yesterday, apparently Doubletree hasn’t refunded the racially profiled guest even after they apologized publicly.

13 Likes

Then they are basically asking to get sued.

Refunding his money should have been their first move.

16 Likes

I find it interesting that this security guard escalated the situation immediately. Oh don’t know your room number? Then i guess this guy is trespassing and i’m calling the cops. Oh you have a key? You didn’t mention that so you’re a threat and still need to be kicked out.

I seriously hope this place is sued.

17 Likes

That’s ingrained racism for you; and it’s not just Earl - the manager is complicit too.

12 Likes

Seems clear to me that Earl decided on the “kick out the tresspasser” part before even speaking to the man.

3 Likes

Interestingly one of the anchors (or host) for this CBS segment says toward the end that he had a very similar situation happen to him a week ago. Relevant bit at 3:20

11 Likes