A black guest of DoubleTree gets kicked out of the hotel for calling his mother in the lobby

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/27/a-black-guest-of-doubletree-ge.html

2 Likes

Hope Earl’s last name finds its way onto social media along with the address of the DoubleTree.

15 Likes

I hope he takes Doubletree for everything they got. I’d side with him on the jury…

22 Likes

Shit is ridiculous. I hope who ever is responsible is promptly fired.

16 Likes

I can’t imagine he’s going to take Doubletree or Hilton (I think it’s a Hilton brand) for everything they have but I do hope they make the situation right firing the security guard or staff who called the police on a guest and then compensate the victim appropriately.

9 Likes

One more racist white person nickname to round out a year full of them. “Lobby Patrol Larry”?

ETA: a reminder of Portland’s history:

22 Likes

Their Instagram description is currently set to:

DoubleTree Portland

Hospitable. Sustainable. Responsible. Portland’s First Sustainable Hotel. 1000 NE Multnomah St, Portland, OR 97232 www.doubletreeportland.com

Since it is a business and they are looking for customers, I don’t feel bad sharing their contact information. This was linked from the article. (I do not agree with DOXing individuals.)

I would be sure to take the care of their guest into account when making hotel bookings in the pacific northwest…

13 Likes

Welcome to Portland!

3 Likes

If he’d just checked in that day, I’d certainly try to dispute the charge with the credit card company.

36 Likes

My only objection to it is that sometimes the incorrect people are doxxed and that’s simply unacceptable. But I personally have no problem with the full wrath of social media making sure there are social consequences for people like Earl and his manager. Either way, it’s against the rules to dox people on this site and I will absolutely flag anyone who does it here which is why I didn’t ask anyone to do it here.

I agree the hotel contact information is public by design and historically the mods have taken the same approach, so you should be fine there.

14 Likes

“We are place of public accommodation and do not discriminate against any individuals or groups.”

Except when you clearly do. Weak response, Doubletree. Way to take zero responsibility and insist that nothing needs to change.

39 Likes

There DoubleTree fixed that for you.

25 Likes

Boilerplate PR bullshit, soon to be followed by bullshit boilerplate nopology. The only company that’s done anything remotely substantive in response is Starbucks, and it’s not like it was much, but most won’t even do that.

I’ve stayed at the DoubleTree on several occasions, and other Hilton brand hotels quite a few times in all. I will not be giving them any more of my business and I’ll discourage family, friends and colleagues from staying with them whenever possible. I have zero desire to stay at a hotel that permits its employees to call the cops on people for existing while black.

26 Likes

SSDD, plus SMH

19 Likes

How can they not? Isn’t that fraud or theft or something?

28 Likes

The man is amazing in his calm and straightforward description of the crime committed against him. He simply states what happened without raging and ranting. When thinking back on the various white privilege whiners who called police on kids and adults of color the difference in presentation says a lot about the quality of the victim of hate verses the white whiners. Mr. Massey deserves the same respect and appreciation from double tree as does every customer. I hope there is enough of a justice system left in trumplandia to make doubletree rue their choice of racist employees.

30 Likes

That, plus POC in US aren’t afforded the privilege of not being preternaturally calm in the face of injustice. Anything less increases their odds of being arrested, beaten or murdered by the authorities.

32 Likes

From the article in The Oregonian:

A police report describes Massey as very angry and loud.

No shit. You’d have heard me in BC.

15 Likes

I was trying to remember what the story of the Hilton fortune was. Ah yes, that mess.

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-hilton-charity/paris-loses-out-hilton-fortune-pledged-to-charity-idUKN2636653220071226

her grandfather Barron Hilton announced plans on Wednesday to donate 97 percent of his $2.3 billion (1.16 billion pounds) fortune to charity.

That sounded impressive until I realized that it isn’t. “Charity” could be some 1937 pro-Nazi eugenics foundation, plus the boards of a lot of charities are packed with lesser inheritors who get their crumbs that way.

11 Likes

Single Sided Double Density?

I’m old.

14 Likes