A black guest of DoubleTree gets kicked out of the hotel for calling his mother in the lobby

You must be, if you predate the saying Same Shit Different Day.

13 Likes

Ah. My excuse is I’m not American. Don’t hear that much her, so I was thinking “solid state disk”

3 Likes

Did someone tell you that you needed one?

4 Likes

This unfortunate incident is likely the result of a misunderstanding between our hotel and guest.

Ooh. Nice work with that “likely”

Did I sound like I was attacking you then?

Nope, I was just wondering.

When other people use acronyms that are unfamiliar to me, I pay attention to the context within the comments, and then I look it up in both dictionaries (real and urban.) Then if I can’t figure it out on my own, I ask directly what it means.

6 Likes

I was thinking the same thing about Portland’s past. And then realized that maybe the present is the same as the past. Looking at it that way, I guess he is lucky to get out losing only his money and not his life. I will definitely remember this the next time I’m on the road and will try to avoid Doubletree, Hilton, and any co-owned properties.

4 Likes

Ok, put me down as just in a thin skinned mood this morning :slight_smile:

But what what you said about looking things up touches on something I’m never quite comfortable about: if we we were talking face to face and you said “ssd” and I said “what?” That would be a perfectly normal slice of conversation. Online, that sort of thing can be short circuited by going and looking it up, which one one hand prevents an unnecessary question, but on the other hand snips off a loop of possible conversation.

Which is appropriate? The best answer I’ve got is “depends”

5 Likes

2 Likes

Absolutely; and you’re correct - it all depends upon where you want the course of the conversation to go.

Also, I must:

8 Likes

I’m partial to Hole. Earl-hole. Earl-hole. I like the sound of that. Anyone who encounters him IRL, I encourage you to use it.

Grrrr…some brass balls on that dude the way he planted himself after the radio call.

6 Likes

LOL, I don’t predate that. There is probably a Latin version of it on some wall in Pompeii.

I’ve finally gotten to where I don’t have to look up SMH every time I see it.

6 Likes

Nah. Hilton’s lawyers will give him a very modest settlement and issue a second corporate nonpology in return for him shutting up and them admitting no wrongdoing. His attorney will weigh it against the cost of going to trial and being buried by Hilton’s army of silk-stockinged lawyers and will recommend he take the deal.

That’s how it works.

The guest’s misunderstanding being that, having paid for a room, he could stay at the hotel without having to abruptly terminate personal calls and submit to interrogation at the whim of the hotel’s flunkies.

19 Likes

Oh that Earl (he can be such a scamp!).

For many/most POC this is normal life, nothing to get riled up about, business as usual.
Sad, true…
ETA: my choice of words might be read to imply ‘we’re ‘okay’ with it, …it doesn’t bother us.’
¡¡¡NOT!!!
I really have no place to be in convo 'bout this.
I used to delete my foolishness, let it stand.
Bye,

The Doubletree in Portland, Maine?

Doubletree is a franchise under Hilton Worldwide. (If applicable) time to contact our respective employer’s admin and request that all HW lodgings be avoided when booking business trips.

4 Likes

On the contrary, just because we’re used to being mistreated perpetually, that doesn’t mean we’re ‘okay’ with it, or that it doesn’t bother us. Self preservation is almost always factor, but the status quo needs to change…

8 Likes

As a white guy living in Portland, I’ve personally witnessed black people being harassed by the cops for what was clearly no justification other than a DWB on at least three occasions, just from being in the vicinity when it happened. In one case, I was following a friend of mine to my place in Sellwood, and the cop pulled out between us, making me slam the brakes and coming within about six inches of hitting my car, so they could pull him over for being black in Sellwood.

I moved back the recently, and noticed that Kinky’s Kleenin Korner on 39th and Belmont is now gone, and has been replaced with a weed shop, so that’s something.

5 Likes