Douglas Coupland: Why I love shopping

[Read the post]

1 Like

I had to surf up Paul Smith @ Heathrow Terminal 5 after reading this, and yeah, I’d totally buy something there but then I suspect I’d have to fly home after blowing my entire vacation budget on one pair of socks.

1 Like

Describing West Vancouver as a “technically rural” “alpine suburb” is an interesting description of one of the wealthiest areas in all of Canada.

2 Likes

When shopping is good, it’s kind of what I imagine the best possible outcome to visiting a prostitute. The staff likes me! Until I leave with the receipt and the item and they can forget about me and deal with the next customer. And I can forget about them until the urge builds up again.

Too late in life, I realized how much of my self esteem was built on retail transactions. I’m not sure I know how to get people to like me, without buying something from them. I know I’m in good company here, but short of a zombie apocalypse, I don’t know how to connect with the rest of them.

1 Like

I genuinely can’t remember the last time I went shopping, beyond the weekly food shop.

1 Like

In the general sense of just going out to get something I don’t need… last record store day?
EDIT no just a few weeks ago cause well Red Cat Records in Vancouver is awesome and well I was there.

He actually bought a bottle of Eau Sauvage? Ew.

Is this the new “I’m interesting because I don’t own a TV?”

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.