Dozens of vintage mugshots of gentlemen in dapper hats

Originally published at: Dozens of vintage mugshots of gentlemen in dapper hats | Boing Boing

2 Likes

I recognize some of those mugs.

4 Likes

My great grandfather was of precisely that vintage around Calgary at that time, and he also wore a hat and tie every day of his life, no matter what. Decades of farming in a hat and tie.

When he was 102 and quite senile, he would still put his tie on every morning. It was the bedrock of his identity and his day.

10 Likes

I’m curious why they let the people keep their hats on for their mugshot. I thought the idea of a mugshot was to help cops / witnesses recognize the subject in the future. With the hat on you can’t see the full shape of the person’s head or whether he’s balding, has horns, etc.–things that could help identify him.

2 Likes

Well, you would never encounter them without a hat on the street…

6 Likes

I find it so weird that Americans write Canadian city names that way. Nobody refers to the Big Apple as New York, America. Or Second City as Chicago, United States.

6 Likes
7 Likes

Some people might use Toronto, Canada, but the rest of Canada wishes that they didn’t. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Dapper Hats? I hope none of those perps were wearing straw hats after Labor Day.

2 Likes

Indeed, I come from Birmingham, England; or Birmingham, as we call it. :+1:

2 Likes

Birmingham, Bull Coonnor used to run Birmingham. How did you guys get rid of him.

They’re not just doing it to Canadian places. It’s always Berlin, Germany and Rome, Italy as if without these caveats everyone’s first thought would be Berlin, Connecticut and Rome, Georgia. They even do it when talking to people from the countries those cities are in!

It’s OK if you just say Munich. We’re both standing on German soil right now, I wasn’t assuming you were talking about Munich, North Dakota!

(Yes, this is a pet peeve of mine)

1 Like

peaky blinders shelby GIF

Interesting– that’s sort of a variation on the peeve. The peeve for Canadians on this one is that they don’t use the province name. Like, Americans will say “Chicago, Illinois”, but won’t say “Calgary, Alberta”. For us, the peeve is treating their larger neighbour (and largest trading partner) like a small European country with no geographic subdivisions that they have heard of. So “Paris, France” sounds fine to both Canadians and Americans, but “Calgary, Canada” sounds incredibly strange.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.