Dr. Martens planning for IPO in 2021

Not entirely, there are aspects of some skinhead culture in punk (reggae and dancehall), but there is far more that is separate or in opposition.

1 Like

I don’t know, I haven’t bought DMs for years, since I discovered how laces get entangled on motorcycle footpegs – more embarrassing than painful.

2 Likes

Yeah, that was my sense, which is why I said emerged from – what I am understanding is that punk wouldn’t be a proper subset of skinhead, but a later outgrowth into its own subculture.

So ok last question – under what subcultural affiliation does Operation Ivy fall? Skinhead or punk?

What I hear from you is you are okay with this, and see no conflict.

The reality is that this is happening regardless of what we think, that’s already understood

As a tiny business owner I agree with all the above. And would add that under the current paradigm, if a company doesn’t struggle to grow, it will shrink. Trying to stand still is death. I just need to earn enough to support my little family, but the “market” is in constant motion, and things that worked a year or five years or a decade ago are ancient history. It’s frustrating.

2 Likes

Phew! That sounds like it could be a lot worse than painful.

1 Like

Honestly, I think that more to do with how we structure the landscape for businesses rather than anything inherent in running a business. One should be able to maintain, rather than constantly growing. Or at the very least, growth should come out of organic conditions rather than those dictated by larger corporations.

Sounds like!

11 Likes

Not so much that I approve, more that I believe expecting any company or institution to support you or defend your values is naive.

1 Like

That, yes.

Which is why I consider this move a sellout, 1st class.

What was punk about the Griggs family and their hereditary wealth?

2 Likes

Not true. The definitive book on the origins of punk rock is “Please Kill Me: The Uncensored Oral History of Punk” by Legs McNeil & Gillian McCain. Highly recommended.

1 Like

Never said anything was. Merely what I don’t find punk.

Devil’s advocate arguements are so tired sometimes. There’s no end to it, and nothing furthered by them often. Yet they remain popular.

If you want to know what I would find Punk if this company were to continue it would be to be sold to an anarchist collective of artisans making shoes in a burnt out building, taken by squatters rights. THAT would be punk af.

Plenty of normal companies made the garb of famous and normal Punk’s everywhere like all the leather jackets and studs. I don’t know that there is any true pure punk reality in clothing the way that people think
about it, unless every single component came from second hand stores.

1 Like

I mean, it is the literal definition of selling out, from a corporate perspective anyway!

1 Like

Wow, that Young Ones clip really took me back to my college days. Loved that show!

2 Likes

Same here. It was a brand built on working class roots and then they moved the factory to India. Haven’t bought a pair since.

2 Likes

For NYC maybe?

2 Likes

i sing snippets of that Alexi Sayles song every chance i get, which is sadly not very often.
“Dr. Martens! Dr. Martens! Dr. Martens BOOTS!”

3 Likes

Nope, it ties much of British punk in.
The DC Hardcore scene and LA came along later.

1 Like

To be honest I don’t know anything of Operation Ivy. I was mainly writing from a UK perspective, there was a skinhead revival, in the UK, on the back of punk which was known as Oi, which rapidly descended into a more racist genre, although there were several definitely non-racist and anti-racist bands too.

1 Like

Operation Ivy was a post punk band with ska influences. IIRC they were made up from the band Rancid. Tim Armstrong?

2 Likes