Dr. Martens planning for IPO in 2021

Wear your braces 'round your seat
Doctor Martens on your feet
Keep your barnet very neat
For credibility on the street

“Uniforms” by Pete Townshend

2 Likes

Crap. I didn’t realize until I saw the picture that I still recoil at the site of oxblood doc’s.

In the 80s we had a lot of local skins in my smaller town. Like disproportionate numbers, and they wore either red doc’s or black doc’s with red laces.

We were a a majority white town, but that just meant the skins would turn their focus on us queer kids. Hated those racists fucks.

5 Likes

It’s still pretty NYC-centric. It’s good, but oral histories tend to leave too much out for my tastes and do too little analysis. I’m more a fan of England’s Dreaming and Lipstick Traces.

1 Like

yeah Covid making sure that shit will disappears. Among other things like cashless transactions, home working/schooling… to name a few of what we face soon.

DOC MARTENS ARE UTTER SHITE NOW

soles come off the shoe after no time at all, not at all cold weather tolerant. They won’t fix them.

Seriously, don’t buy. Another poster mentioned Solovair. Do that.

3 Likes

Reminds of:

2 Likes

Its a shame the boots are terrible now, at least here in the uk, the 1st thing the new owners did was sell of all the plant, and move it to china, where the boots are not just low quality copy’s of them self, living off a zombie brand that once had heritage and prestige and now is know for low quality instead.

And UK punk would be a reaction against the fascist leanings of skinheads and the conservative complacency of white rock and other co-opted African American musics.

The idea of Anarchy died in Britain as soon as it came out of John Lydons mouth as a sneering slogan to bolster Malcolm Mclaren’s populist fashion driven economy.

Dr Martin boots and NHS glasses (I’m looking at you Elvis Costello) were cheap and utilitarian. These objects can only live their life in the realm of utility until ‘fashion’ makes them sort after - expensive. They can only be the badge of a subculture, a ready made affordable way to associate to your tribe when they are cheap.

Having said that, the complex relationship of shoes/ boots is played out in a different way in Hip Hop cultures… can’t afford a Merc to drive but can save up and have the most expensive shoes I can afford to walk in.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.