Dr. Oz thinks increasing food prices is a good thing if it forces people to eat less meat (video)

Originally published at: Dr. Oz thinks increasing food prices is a good thing if it forces people to eat less meat (video) | Boing Boing

4 Likes

OK, now he is trying to lose the election on purpose.

20 Likes

ugh, why does the thing that’s going to sink his campaign have to be one of the few things I agree with him on.

38 Likes

21 Likes

“It’s probably important for us to start having higher prices for some foods so that people don’t take advantage of subsidies that make foods that aren’t ecologically sensible.”

A food we do not need in our diet, at all:

16 Likes

18 Likes

He’s sound a little bit like a leftist with the whole “raise the price of meat so people at less.”

Also - $90/lb is bullshit, but what ever.

14 Likes

For once, I don’t disagree with him. Meat, and the slaughter of animals, should not be subsidised.

14 Likes

He can afford Kobe beef. Perhaps why $90/lb got stuck in his head?

14 Likes

26 Likes

Starve the poor into sustainability!

Who would have guessed that a Republican would also be an Eco-Fascist.

Well, OK, we wouldn’t have been surprised about the second bit.

21 Likes

This might (unlikely as it may be) affect how republican voters/life stock farmers think of him and he’ll hopefully lose a few votes.
As others have said it’s not a bad idea and I would rather subsidies poorer people than farmers which would make food more expensive. Frankly, I don’t know the consequences of doing this or the economics around the whole situation or how such a change might affect society. At least we are not yet irrigating the fields with Brawndo (it’s got electrolytes, it’s what plants crave).
Dr Oz is an actual doctor and had the intelligence and attributes to pass a medical degree. A conversation like shows that he is capable of rational/sensible thought. However, somewhere along the way, he sold his principles to the highest bidder and hasn’t stopped since. And that is why we really don’t want him as a senator - he is not representing us, or what he believes in, but rather his cooperate interests and patrons.

3 Likes

So, his core voters are ANTI farmer support and eat LESS meat?

Is he reading the right cue cards?

6 Likes

If this is from “around the time he launched the Dr. Oz Show” it is from 2009.

3 Likes

I hope he gets asked how much he thinks a cheesesteak should cost.

16 Likes

And that sugar subsidy is in some part responsible for making HFCS so prevalent on the market.

14 Likes

i think it’s flawed logic though. While eating less red meat is good for you, a lot of vegetarian protein sources are also expensive… so if people cant afford food they are probably gonna end up buying filling and less nutritious food like pasta and white rice… not to mention junk food.

11 Likes

So it is just the tip of the iceberg of silly things he said in the past which show he is unsuited for elected office. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

17 Likes

Doesn’t Dr Oz own a cattle ranch?

6 Likes