Dr. Pepper overtakes Pepsi as America's second-most popular soft drink

Pepsi used to be advertised in the UK with the “blind taste test” which “proved” that people prefer the taste of Pepsi to another popular cola drink. The thing is of course people don’t buy blind, and they always preferred Coca Cola.

2 Likes

My wife has been buying Zevia, which has a knockoff version of Dr Pepper sweetened with Zevia (not sure if it’s available in the US). The knockoff Dr Pepper is better than the knockoff Cola, but we really like the root beer and the ginger root beer.

2 Likes

ezgif.com-add-text (3)

5 Likes

Add some rum and you two have invented the Dark n Stormy Daniels cocktail.

7 Likes

Jack Daniels has been suggested for this, but don’t know how well it goes with ginger beer.

3 Likes

“They call me MISTER Pibb!”
Theycallmemistertibbs1970movieposter

4 Likes

I’m still waiting for Dr. Pepper pods for my Keurig!

4 Likes

I was kidding, at first:

Because, of course, it would be a real thing

5 Likes

How many have you collected?

(I know of some that are missing from this group including “Doctor Wild” which used to be the Wild Oats store brand before it was bought by Whole Foods.)

4 Likes

I like the little note on that page: “This item is no longer available in new condition.” Are they only selling used Dr Pepper pods?

5 Likes

… it’s just “The Doctor”

5 Likes

Oh man. Pepsi got hosed on that Philippines ordeal. It wasn’t even their fault. This is the first I’ve heard of it.

“…the computer of Pepsi’s vendor which was responsible for printing the numbers on the bottle caps. The entire campaign functioned on the basic plan of having two winners who would get the grand prize of $40,000 each. The winning number was pre-decided to be ‘349’ and these two bottles of Pepsi would be shipped to the Philippines by the company itself. But the entire plan went haywire when a glitch caused the vendors in the Philippines to manufacture 800,000 bottles with the winning number printed on their cap.

Unbeknownst to this error, Pepsi continued pushing the campaign and on the ill-fated day of the announcement of the grand prize, there were 490,116 Filipinos who claimed the prize, armed with their bottles bearing the number ‘349’.”

People fucking died and the multibillion-dollar corporation got a little bad publicity because they didn’t hire a competent vendor for their promotion. I wouldn’t say they were the ones who got hosed.

2 Likes

I’ve noticed that they changed the name to “Pibb Xtra”. Apparently the original amount of Pibb wasn’t enough.

2 Likes
2 Likes

2 Likes

Beck Bennett is amazing in this.

1 Like

Wow, did you collect all these? We have about a 10th of this display. I guess I don’t travel enough. Food Lion, Giant, Safeway, Price Chopper, Harris Teeter, Publix. We don’t collect them so much as share pics when we see them.

3 Likes

I didn’t–it’s an image I found on the internet. But at one time I used aluminum cans for drainage in flower pots and I think some of them still have a few empty “Doctor Wild” cans hidden under the dirt.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.