Drag shows are more dangerous than guns says rational gentleman

1 Like

Kids mostly didn’t have guns when I was a kid, and adults didn’t have AR-15’s.

2 Likes

The problem is the two are talking about very different dangers.

The questioner is really asking about the PHYSICAL danger, but the replier is talking about the “moral danger”.

Yes, I realize this is intentional and played up for effect. AND to point out the absurdity of comparing the two.

But to many alt-rights, they are the same. They don’t see a difference between them.

And that makes them very dangerous, because they believe they are JUSTIFIED in “defending” their position with violence, such as the “gay panic” defense.

1 Like

I’d wager this gentleman’s issue is not with drag per se, but that the drag performers are being treated with respect, dignity, and acceptance, and not being held out as objects of ridicule.

I’m sure he’d be perfectly fine with an unsympathetic drag performance, but a “that’s great, more power to you!” affirmational performance is simply too much to bear — @kschang777 ‘s moral danger.

I’m not a historian and so can’t speak with any authority, but my experience is that most American entertainment, and certainly the past 150 years, has been largely unsympathetic to cross dressers. Even the examples I gave are largely unsympathetic. None of the cross dressers in those examples wanted to cross dress, but did so out of plot necessity to drive a “fish out of water” narrative, and hilarity ensues.

3 Likes

I honestly want someone to ask these people what, exactly, they think happens at drag show. The “worst” you’re likely to encounter at a drag show, from a moralizing standpoint, are some double entendres and a few shits and fucks. The words, not the acts. And if you go to drag time story hour at the library, or a drag brunch, you probably won’t even encounter that.

3 Likes

What about Andrew in drag?

8 Likes

You know, Klinger is probably the #1 reason drag doesn’t even raise an eyebrow for me. From a very young age I was like, “Oh, some guys wear dresses.”

5 Likes

Not to mention Klinger was in drag because he wanted to get away from the guns.

8 Likes

Flaming drag shows! Look at the flaming flamers! Sooooo dangerous!

1 Like

I bet he loved “Under Siege” when the bad guy dresses up like a female officer.

I tried drag racing once, but my heels made it hard to push the pedals.

9 Likes

I would love to know the story of this photo, if you know it?

1 Like

tl;dr they were in the middle of rehearsing for a stage show and had to rush to battle stations with no time to change.

ETA here’s the full story, with more photos:

ETA 2 replaced with non paywall link:
https://archive.ph/hVGMG

5 Likes

Ahaha, amazing. I love it. Instead of censoring them, they should have run the pictures in German papers. “Look who is defeating you, Nazis”.

5 Likes

I couldn’t find the right accessories to go with the Nomex suit. Helmet and gloves, sure, but the combinations available just didn’t speak to me.

3 Likes

Seems like a potential business opportunity. I’m sure there’s someone out there who is desperate for a pink camo Nomex suit to wear on track day.

2 Likes

I need answers. Is it more dangerous to bring a gun to a drag show, or go in drag to a gun show? If I try to bring a gun, and makeup, to a GOP convention, which would you rather gets confiscated?

I’d be more worried about being shot.

3 Likes

Considering that the Torygraph has spent most of this week telling transphobic lies, I don’t think they have any standing to talk about the censorship of people in drag.

Here’s the paywall free version, I’d rather not give money to any of the right wing British press.

2 Likes

Duly noted. I am not broadly familiar with the leanings of the British press. I generally only follow The Guardian or BBC. I’ve replaced the link in my post as well.

1 Like