Drill a single hole in an ATM and you can comprehensively pwn it

I don’t consider a 4cm hole to be very small. That’s about an inch and a half and would require a core bit which are pretty damn noisy.

4 Likes

No problemo.

4 Likes

Could use a knockout punch, but it might need some modification so that it can be used from one side of the surface. That would be very quiet and wouldn’t throw any sparks.

Or maybe a step drill bit?

Or use an angle grinder with cutoff wheel to make shallow plunge cuts. That would be loud and produce a lot of sparks, but might make a more usable hole.

I wonder how much void there is behind the surface we’re drilling, until we accidentally destroy the connection point.

2 Likes

It most certainly had to be that way. Low-bid military platforms/systems/equipment have pretty much always experienced problems, and I never heard jack-squat from Rebellion DoD re issues.

That’s why if one does a lot of work with microcontrollers, it is handy to use a laptop with actual UART serial ports. USB access and timing are often weird, as it is more for bulk storage than real-time communication.

1 Like

How could you modify a knockout punch to work from only one side?

1 Like

I was thinking maybe a mechanism like the anchor on a toggle bolt or a molly bolt? Or maybe a custom made , shallow u-shaped bar that you slip into the hole end-first. I think any technique relies on you having a fairly deep void in which to work.

There’s probably a tool that already exists for this.

1 Like
4 Likes

That’s why my bank insists upon the latest iATM.

3 Likes

“mysterious ATM heists that left behind no evidence of hacking – only a single small hole drilled by the machines’ PIN pads.”

a “small” 4cm hole drilled into a supposedly vandalism proofed pin pad, exposing a bus pin connector is not evidence that someone hacked it?

a 4 cm hole is quite huge… thats not something you do without anyone noticing

2 Likes

obrigado.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.