Man bought Jaws of Life on eBay to, er, access ATMs

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/08/man-bought-jaws-of-life-on-eba.html

5 Likes

If I had a photo of “the jaws of life” tool printed on my ATM card, I would have the best of both worlds.

1 Like

Ebay banning the OTC sales of ‘jaws of life’ in 3…2…1

4 Likes

Well, at least he is smart enough to use the right tool for the job. Some idiot tore up some of the washing machines at my apt complex with an angle grinder, I believe. They didn’t get in, and I bet there was at most 30 bucks worth of quarters in there.

13 Likes

Just cracking open the ATM isn’t the hard part, it’s getting into the safe that’s inside that’s the hard part. An ATM is basically just a shell around a crappy PC, some mechanisms for sorting deposits and withdrawals, and a big and heavy safe.

6 Likes

how these things are intended to work.

Are the targeted ATMs built to a lower spec than bank owned ATMs?

4 Likes

Doubt that much.

CSB
Not that I did this since I’m a fine law abiding citizen, but when I was dealing with the college dorm washing machines, (as an engineer) I figured you could bend a coat hanger just right and insert it to fake out the change receptacle and wash your clothes for free. I would never have told my floormates of this trick, but once the practice became ubiquitous the dorm just started giving free laundry. $30k per year at the time so I’m sure some people who took advantage feel justified.
/CSB

5 Likes

See also:

3 Likes

Well the reason for my low estimate was because you could also just swipe your debit card. But point taken, it could have been more.

2 Likes

My kiddos and I are trying to fill up the “US states” quarter map, but we’re still missing Guam, American Samoa, US Virgin Islands, Northern Mariana Islands, and Idaho.

Idaho? Really? Do people like fries that much?

4 Likes

Heh- About ten years ago in my city, there were a series of ATM thefts where the crooks used ‘borrowed’ (read: stolen) construction equipment to steal ATMS in whole, carting them off to parts unknown where they were cracked open.

They got caught, because they got cocky, and got on the news.

Jaws of the High Life.

3 Likes

Shout-out to the Spider-Man MCU, but I wonder which would have cost less, Jaws of Life, or Chitauri Portal Gun? I figure Portal Gun would be easier to use, though.

Considering all the folks making ATMs also make the voting machines, I’d expect it be rather easy and straightforward to pwn an ATM.

3 Likes

Jaws of life on one side is jaws of death on the other #circleofdeath

2 Likes

Is he reselling it?

ebay leaves a bit of a paper trail.

Maybe you should call the whole thing off.

1 Like

A Jaws of Life job, Had to leave a big impression on the paralytic mob.