How to steal money at an ATM if you don't have a skimmer

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/08/how-to-steal-money-at-an-atm-i.html

6 Likes

I hope the tractor isn’t their getaway car…

4 Likes

Obligs:

14 Likes

That poor car! They came close to breaking the suspension.

1 Like

Great news, fellas! We got $5000 out of the ATM…minus the cost of the excavator…and…

Oh.

10 Likes

Good news:the car and the excavator were free!

There’s a spate of these at the moment. It’s kind of the story du jour after a gruesome murder trial and Brexithog Day.

As for the suspension: it was a Berlin go, putting it down would be a mercy. That car could feature on Breaking Bad its so horrible.

10 Likes

It was nice of the guy to jump back in the digger and turn it off before he left.

3 Likes

He’s probably the guy that’s operating it at the work site down the road. He looked pretty proficient with it.

6 Likes

People are asking for the numbers of these fast, efficient builders…

6 Likes

Demolition is the worst part of any remodeling job.

3 Likes

One does wonder how much was actually in the ATM.

4 Likes

“Haha we cracked it open, now…bah. Pounds.”

6 Likes

What is the standard note used in Irish ATMs?

A standard ATM machine like the Hyosung Halo will hold 700 – 1,000 notes. This is much more than you would need to put in the ATM. Most ATM owners load the cash daily if they are on site in the store. Adding just fifty or so $20 bills (about $1,000). Since the average withdrawal is around $60 or so, again, depending on the location, if you have a busy machine that should last the entire day. If you want to start with less and check the ATM balance using our real-time monitoring system you can always login to make sure your machine never runs out if you manage off site machines.

5 Likes

You get over here right now and clean this soda off of my keyboard!

4 Likes

Something like this happened down the road from me.

Some wise guys stole a front loader from a contracting rental place nearby, drove to a Wells Fargo branch, and uprooted an ATM.

They loaded it onto a pickup (also stolen, as I recall) and drove off. The truck and busted-open machine were found on a rural road a few miles away.

The credit union whose ATM I use is in the background. My card got hacked there; $1803 was sucked out of my checking account before I caught on*. Much more subtle!

*I was reimbursed. I was on vacation when the withdrawls were made, and they were in odd locations around Portland.

8 Likes

Beat me to it!

1 Like

NI (part of the UK and use Sterling), mostly 20s I’d say, often (though less often than the South) only 50s left. 10s common in some, 5s a relic of the past.

3 Likes

I remember hearing a martial arts master admit that, when it came right down to it, a heavyweight boxer could probably take down most black belts, as long as he could get in one good punch.

Brute force, for when grace and finesse aren’t an option.

5 Likes

Whenever I hear about someone stealing an entire ATM, I always think of ‘Spooge’ and how he really should have treated his woman better…

9 Likes

I think they should dispense coins.

Man, every time I’ve been to UK or Europe I’ve eventually wished I was wearing a coin purse. There is something charmingly medieval about having your standard denominations in coins.

Do you suppose they’ll start making a 5 pound/euro coins soon?

Well, 5 euro coins…the UK will be bartering with chickens and moldy jam soon enough, I fear.

7 Likes