Thief uses explosives to rob cash machine

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/06/thief-uses-explosives-to-rob-c.html

2 Likes

More buck for the bang?

16 Likes

He probably thought his idea was pretty dynamite

13 Likes

I’ve always wondered why these machines don’t have dye packs.

1 Like

They couldn’t be in the regular feeder except at the very bottom, so it would be pretty easy for a thief to simply bypass them by only grabbing cash from the top of the stack.

I’m more curious that nobody managed to get his plate number before he drove off. That was a really attention grabbing crime and people saw the guy lugging cash to his car but they didn’t think it was important enough to take note of the plates? Even if the car is stolen it would have allowed the cops to track it through town as it passed by plate readers.

I kind of expect this guy to be caught fairly quickly.

2 Likes

" quickly drove off when he noticed people were watching."

Did he think that blowing up a cash machine was going to be surreptitious behavior?

Probably because you’d have a non-zero chance of having the dye explode on regular customers, machine technicians, etc.

5 Likes

Jamie Hyneman has really fallen on hard times.

6 Likes

Obligs:

7 Likes

z65

9 Likes

I thought of this but there’s also another western that i can’t for the life of me remember what it was. Could be older or “recent”… i don’t know but i recall a scene on a train where they try to dynamite the safe in the train open and accidentally launch the safe off the train and into a river. I tried Googling the gist of the scene and didn’t get any hits

3 Likes

On the positive side I think this was probably a learning experience for the ATM bomber.

Now he knows he can use less explosive and hopefully recover a larger percentage of the ATM booty.

I look forward to following his career…

Which will probably end with a bang.

3 Likes

I am somehow picturing this guy from “Justified”

2 Likes

I thought I could help you, but it turns out that the film I was thinking of, “Sam Whiskey”, was a western about recovering gold from a sunken riverboat.

4 Likes

The movie i might be thinking of might be post 1980’s… possibly as new as 90-00’s but i really cannot pin down what it is.

1 Like

Well, this was in England, so it’s more like more pound for the sound.

1 Like

This has been a big problem in Amsterdam over the past couple years. Sometimes they manage to blow out windows in the neighborhood but it does appear to work…

2 Likes

That’s “Shanghai Noon”, I believe.

2 Likes

That might actually be it :smiley: it being a comedy rings right to me.

1 Like

many criminals take the chance and either go with no plates or plates from a completely different car. meanwhile since this is in England, if it was in the right area, you wouldn’t even need plates since you’d just follow the car from camera to camera. (at least thats how the panopticon works on TV)

4 Likes