How to steal all the money in an ATM

Originally published at: How to steal all the money in an ATM | Boing Boing

7 Likes

I think maybe a pickup truck would improve on the technique? You could just cover it up with a tarp. I love how the backhoe tries to shove the thing through the sunroof after it has dumped it there.

11 Likes

In the movie Barbershop the theft of the ATM was the relatively easy part. Getting it open later was the hard part.

7 Likes

I wonder if these thieves had the same issue. Wasn’t this also a plot point in Breaking Bad?

7 Likes

These things are deadly too if you’re not careful

14 Likes

Yeah, but the Barbershop movie was a lot more comical than that episode and I didn’t feel like linking to scenes of murderous drug addicts with a neglected child in the house. (Not that the “Spluge” character wasn’t kinda funny in his own way.)

4 Likes

Disappointed that the cops didn’t arrive quickly enough for a (very) slow-speed chase through the streets of Derry.

Speaking of Derry, I know the perfect person to recount the tale of this exciting heist.

6 Likes

One of the fun twists of the Barbershop movie is that the ATM had just been installed and was empty the whole time. Not that the thieves ever managed to open it.

6 Likes

Yeah the meth addict “Spooge” assured Jesse he’d boosted several ATMs in the past but his partner helpfully pointed out he’d never succeeded in actually getting any of them open.

4 Likes

If you suspect that this extractive methodology might be uneconomical, consider that ATMs typically have a maximum capacity of £250,000 and are frequently stocked with £50-60,000 in the UK.

Here in the states, at your local hometown retail branch, there’s probably more cash in the ATM than in the vault. Consumers do most of their withdrawals through ATMs these days, so that’s where the cash is.

3 Likes

Seriously - how does that not pop the tires? The getaway car is undoubtedly stolen, but still: if the tires are popped, they need another car just to escape, and with no loot.

3 Likes

But how do you steal the digger?

And do the ATMs themselves not have tracking devices?

Asking for a friend.

7 Likes

Depends how big and organized your gang is.

3 Likes

You’d make even more money boosting diggers if you can find the buyers. This things are expensive. I knew someone who got most severely sent to jail for boosting JCBs and ringing them.

7 Likes

Many, many years ago, I had a couple acquaintances with questionable judgment who once stole a pay phone. They brought it back to their “hideout” and went about the business of breaking it open. The thing was like a safe, they had the hardest time relieving it of its booty. Every so often, it would spit out a nickel or a dime (ie, a coin worth US$0.05 or 0.10) but it sure wasn’t just breaking right open and spilling its load.

We all sat around and watched them, laughing at them, asking how they were going to spend their newly gotten treasure without raising suspicion at their sudden wealth.

Looking back at me hanging out with this crowd, maybe I was the one with questionable judgment.

8 Likes

Inspired by that scene in The Blues Brothers maybe?

4 Likes

8 Likes

A “Rob’s Own Reboing”? @beschizza (Though you posted it from the BBC last time.) :wink:

Maybe you think the excavator is a cool tool and will repeat it every few months, just like Mark does. :wink:

7 Likes

all the money in the atm

“In” is doing even more heavy lifting than that excavator did

I’m surprised it didn’t set off alarms when they busted through the wall.

1 Like