How to steal money at an ATM if you don't have a skimmer

If they disabled the car it would have spoiled the heist. They should have stolen a pickup truck.

Hey BB, how about giving us some ATM robbery FAILs like:

The Tomsk burglars looked the part in balaclavas and gloves, and at first everything went according to their bizarre plan as they lassoed a cable around a Sberbank ATM, and attached the other end to their GAZelle truck.
Their aim was to rev up the vehicle and drag the cash machine out of the supermarket and down the street, as they made away with their money haul.
But the ATM refused to budge. Things got worse.
As they powered up the truck, a load of dry logs in the vehicle ignited in flames.
Theft plan goes up in smoke as bungling criminals fail to steal ATM from Tomsk supermarket
(No video :disappointed: )

2 Likes

A major bank ATM in a busy downtown location probably contains at least $10,000

http://business.time.com/2010/10/07/more-thevies-are-making-total-atm-withdrawls/

Long story short, any given ATM contains a little more than the total of average daily withdrawals, give or take. The more an ATM is used, the more it’s loaded up with at the start of the day. So the crusty old ATM in the bodega might only have $500 in it, while the busiest bank in the heart of manhattan might have $100,000 or more.

3 Likes

The Irish have style.

OTOH:

3 Likes

I’m starting to think these guys aren’t really the avengers!

5 Likes

That’s a big if

1 Like

Pointless trivia note: cash machines in universities (usually in the Student’s Union) are specially loaded with £5 notes to better accommodate their traditionally broke clientele.

3 Likes

Ulstermen tend to go for the direct approach. There’s not a lot of subtlety there. [ Most of Norn Iron voted to Remainin the EU, but Antrim voted leave. I’m still arguing with an Antrim man, who is posting all kinds of UKIP shit. Trouble is he’s involved with a close relative of mine.] Hey, remember the Ulster farmer who got upset at Rhianna doing a video in his field because she was “scantily clad”?

3 Likes

They occasionally have 5s in Norn Iron too, but pretty rarely now. Down here they haven’t had 5s since the early 90s and almost never have 10s.

The dispersion of these throughout Ulster is quite interesting, sure you get prime Antrim and Ahoghill (the place where the Orange Order started) and all these towns painted red white and blue, but you also have ones in Cavan and Monaghan in Ulster but in Ireland rather than Northern Ireland and pretty strong republican strongholds rather than DUKIPDAVF areas which would suggest that there is a bit of copycat going on here rather than a single bunch of people…

1 Like

Someone tried a raid like this in Beaminster, Dorset, using a digging machine to try and pry the machine out of the bank’s corner wall.

They didn’t get the machine out, because a big chunk of wall came down and buried it. This also did enough damage to render the building structurally unsound.

2 Likes

Yeah, but if they don’t use a skimmer, how does the ATM owner know whose identity was stolen? I mean, some innocent bank customer has to be on the hook for the losses, right?

They’ll lose money on every heist, but make it up in volume.

2 Likes

If you’ve forgotten your PIN number, there are easier ways to access your money.

1 Like

(Commemorative) £5 coins already exist. I have one somewhere. They’re too big and heavy to be used in general circulation (well mine is) and as we use cash less and less I’d be amazed if they were ever introduced into proper use.

1 Like

A lot of types of ATMs can be blown up; all you need is some duct tape, a fun-sized cylinder of propane or butane, and a lighter.

or just put a certain bridge in the way and let someone else do it for you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think that news out of Tacoma Wa today will have this one beat. Was it Tacoma? I think so. Regardless coming in today the radio was talking about the police blocking several blocks due to an “ATM Explosion”

2 Likes

1 Like

Yeah after I posted I googled exploding ATM and it is actually more common an occurrence than I would have expectd

1 Like