Drinking coffee while Black: Actor Mark Curry harassed by staff at Colorado hotel he was staying at

It’s fertile ground for the likes of James Dobson’s “Focus on the Family” and Ted Haggard and everything in between.

4 Likes

Several years ago, we were trying to come up with possible places to retire if we wanted to leave CA for said retirement and CS was on the list. But we scratched it off the list pretty quick after doing some digging.

4 Likes

There is a lot to like about the springs - there is a vibrant and strong queer community, for example. Rather than leaving the place to a relatively small number of noisy assholes, come out and support everybody else. That’s how things change

I lived there for 12 years (during which it went purple and it’s now pretty blue) and still know many incredible people that live there and would welcome you!

17 Likes

Every staffer involved should be sacked. Every single one of them, including bystanders who took no action to defend him. This is bullshit. If my last stay at a Wyndham property hadn’t been so shitty, I’d have to boycott them now, instead of already having done so!

3 Likes

For a moment I thought you were heading in a totally different direction and I was about to read about an Overlook Hotel reference :slight_smile: I like your direction much better.

5 Likes

They shouldn’t have asked him to see his room key either given that they had no reason (apart from racial profiling) to question whether he was a hotel guest.

17 Likes

There are limits to what a white person can do in a hotel lobby. I once stretched out on the floor in the Hilton and took a nap … and they WOKE me up. Woke me up I tell you.

6 Likes

Was it to give you a pillow and blankets?

17 Likes

Didn’t want ‘em to miss turn down service.

9 Likes

Yeah…been there. Did not end well

Animated GIF

12 Likes

yeah. my first thought was “welcome to the Overlook. please find warmth in room 237. have a pleasant stay.”
also, Jack does not look warm there.

6 Likes

Actually the exact words of the hotel employee were , “ “Sir, you can’t sleep on the floor … you’ll have to go to your room.” That’s right, he audaciously assumed that I was a guest in the hotel.

7 Likes
6 Likes

A certain loser, hotel “dick” needed to finally get to exercise his loser, hotel “dick” power.

2 Likes

He “profiled” himself and for all the world to see.

2 Likes

As long ago as when I was in the military - back in the 90’s - the Air Force was well known for having basically an evangelical officer corp that was actively proselytizing the enlisted ranks and discriminating against people of the wrong religions. I can only imagine it has gotten significantly worse since.
There is a reason Charlie Strauss set the HQ of the horrific Golden Promises ministry in the Laundry novels in this town.

7 Likes

Jurassic Park Ian Malcom GIF

7 Likes

Hey, as long as we’re talking about white dudes, and not racism… /s

11 Likes

Now it has gone viral and reputational damage is hitting the books, the hotel chain is suspending the employees and doing the old “retraining” claim

The fact of the matter is that this type of behaviour is rarely volunteered by an employee. This is either policy or some manager told them to “go and check this guy”

I have stayed in hundreds of hotels for business purposes, sometimes after checking out and waiting for a couple of hours before going to the airport, I have gone to hotels for conferences, business meetings, drinks, meals. I even gone to hotel lobby’s to call a taxi (in some countries, hotel taxis are the safest) and I have NEVER been asked what I was doing there and I have NEVER being told I cannot use the public space

The whole incident is utterly disgusting and the chain should suffer financially for it

14 Likes

I’d done the reddit deep dive. The harasser is the hotel manager’s brother. Beyond this the hotel has issued a half assed apology which is very persuasive: nothing will change.

5 Likes