Drinking straws that are made of pasta

I read this as a reply to:

What a horrifying mental image (mental flavor?).

1 Like

We need fusillades of fusilli!

4 Likes

To be fair, there are some people who do need straws to be able to drink:

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2018/07/11/627773979/why-people-with-disabilities-want-bans-on-plastic-straws-to-be-more-flexible

10 Likes

if you really need a straw alternative, i really like the ones made of actual straw (like as in grass). i was at a bar that had them for cocktails. thy don’t get soggy and presumably they are about as biodegradable as you can get.

i know this whole plastic straw debate is a black hole i dont mean to go down. just saying the straw straws work great.

4 Likes

I was a bit glib in my post… to be more accurate, I should have written “The last time I was drinking something and thought, “Hey, I sure wish I had a straw to drink this with!” was… when I was laid up with a severely broken leg.”

So straws as an aid for the injured or disabled, yes, of course. But as something that is taken for granted as the default method for ingesting the liquids… I think not.

2 Likes

In most places I go now, they have started to ask if you’d like a straw instead of just immediately putting them on the table, which seems to me like the most sensible solution to this. I generally don’t use one anymore, but I’d hate for one who needs one to not have it.

I also like @knoxblox point about about how the real problem isn’t our individual consuming habits, but specific industries and their uses of plastics (commercial fishing and the US military).

10 Likes

Hay isn’t straw. While I’m at it, yams aren’t sweet potatoes, tin isn’t aluminum and cement isn’t concrete.

3 Likes

There’s no way to look cool when drinking from a straw.

Samuel-L-Jackson-Drinking-Sprite-Pulp-Fiction

8 Likes

jon-snow-slurps

6 Likes

Yes, plastic straw bans are more feel-good than effective. It’s another “crying Indian” that puts the onus on the consumer rather than industry.

1 Like

The problem comes when people start policing who needs a straw. “You don’t look disabled!” And right now plastic is the only hypoallergenic, flexible, non-dissolving, unlikely to cause palate damage, safe for hot-drinks option that we have. Until we come up with something that is truly suitable as a universal alternative, we’re putting a burden on disabled people so that we can feel like we’re “doing something” and get pur warm-fuzzy/superiority kick while barely making a scratch, let alone a dent.

6 Likes

dany-this

4 Likes

I’ll stick with the ones that are compostable; thanks, though.

4 Likes

whatever it is it works!

No. You are a pervert and should be banished. :wink:

1 Like

I can’t stand metal straws because of the texture on my teeth. Paper ones are OK for most drinks, but not anything too thick like a smoothie. Those bamboo ones look great though.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.