Drinking straws that are made of pasta

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/16/drinking-straws-that-are-made.html

1 Like

We don’t need straws made out of pasta, Twizzlers work fine.

6 Likes

Yea, but they’re really only good for drinking Marinara.

11 Likes

This is just fusilli.

17 Likes

Go away, farfalle away.

12 Likes

Bucatini.

5 Likes

Don’t rotelle me what to do!

9 Likes

Yet it still floats over people’s heads that two of the world’s primary pollution and/or plastics problems come from the US military and commercial fishing. Where are the spaghetti nets and rigatoni missile launchers?

18 Likes

That could decrease their carbonara footprint.

21 Likes

What’s the uptake of paper straws in the US? They’re pretty much everywhere in the UK now.

1 Like

But why are there straws anyway? The last time I was drinking something and thought, “Hey, I sure wish I had a straw to drink this with!” was… never.

1 Like

The only way I will drink a Coke. Pray for me.

2 Likes

I can think of a few things that might require non-squishy straws, like smoothies, shakes and bubble tea. However, I have them so infrequently that it’s not even on my radar to bother with a bespoke straw. A pasta straw, clever, but, just no. Ew.

2 Likes

I saw them in SFO’s airport. I think they were the common solution when you asked for a straw when I visited Portland for a week. I’ve never seen a restaurant that has them here in one of the southeast’s biggest cities.

1 Like

Thank you for posting that. I’m also thinking that’s really all these are.

I think it might be an American thing, what with our love of lots of ice in any non-hot drink. Unless you have lips of aerogel, drinking through a pile of ice is uncomfortable.

4 Likes

In a more horror-driven world, I could see contemporary vampires using them to poke humans like juice boxes and cut down on the mess.

4 Likes

Nobody ever puts a straw in beer, though, for some reason.

2 Likes

Only a monster would put ice in their beer, so that part is consistent.

2 Likes

To those asking why are straws necessary anyway: it’s an accessibility issue. Often, disabled people can only drink or take in liquids through a straw, I believe.

9 Likes

Or it’d be inconvenient to/reveal their disability. It’s a lot easier to hold a cup steady while you sip (or even sip while the cup is on the table,) than go through the drinking motion if you have shakes, coordination problems, etc.

6 Likes