You can eat these drinking straws

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/01/29/you-can-eat-these-drinking-str.html

1 Like

“Loliware”? “Lolistraw”? Tag line “Eat me”?!

I guess that makes sense if their other product lines are dating simulators and body pillows.

4 Likes

The “500 million straws” figure appears to be unsubstantiated.

Edit: Very few restaurants or company cafeterias are liable to pay over half a buck each for these crowdfunded straws. Anyone who really thinks that changing straws will save the planet can get these right now for < 5 cents each -

5 Likes

Or you could, you know, just use actual straw. Rye grass is renewable and biodegradable. I remember getting a Coke served with an actual straw like that in the 70s, in Austria or maybe Hungary, and suddenly realizing “oh, so this is how straws were originally made…”

4 Likes

If it was a Coke it was probably Austria, if it was a Pepsi it was probably Hungary.
Then VP Nixon got Nikita Khrushchev to drink a Pepsi at the opening of the American National Exhibition at Sokolniki Park in Moscow (July 1959). After that, Pepsi could do business behind the iron curtain.

2 Likes

How much of a public health concern is using straw?

No, you can eat these drinking straws!

3 Likes

oh man, the top thread on that skeptic forum got me. My brain read it in the mode of most forum posts, a-la “Has anyone here tried the new X?”

Don’t know, but if you can use corn husks for tamales, I imagine you could use analogous methods to make sure straw is ok for food use

2 Likes

Cool. A decision tree to reflect how much I hate myself at the moment. Do I pick vanilla with my coke, or charcoal?

Red Vines are more expensive, but fun.

1 Like

Personally, I hate straws, so not using them is my bit to reduce their use.

1 Like

Why don’t you look a turtle in the eye with that fucking sneer, pal.

Have a lovely day!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.