Drive-by compliments

Not quite. It’s because it’s reasonable and courteous to notify readers when there’s a turd in the pool. Most of the yelled comments are fine, but a few would qualify as catcalling. It’s generally moderated by the drive-by “bullhorn and cameraman” setup, which signals the Hey, we’re hoping y’all have a good day today! intent that chgoliz describes. But I wonder if it only aggravates the negative experience of some.

We can have our nice things, we just need to get past it when people who don’t want those things receive a modicum of respect and warning.

The functional line (which the drive-by complimenter sometimes transgresses) is to compliment people on actions and choices, not qualities. “Nice style!” vs “You’re pretty!”

7 Likes

Hey, quit editing after I “Liked” your comment! I want a time stamp on my “Likes”! :wink:

2 Likes

I just wanted to give chgoliz a shout out!

4 Likes

For sure! I once commented positively here about what I’ve always seen as Improv Everywhere’s playful, spread-a-little-happiness stunts, but got several strong responses with exactly opposite opinions - which is fully legit, of course. It’s a very tough line to walk and balance to find…

I like this present video for similar reasons but it does have the issues you describe, and as @bobtato mentioned, there’s surely some bad buzz incidents edited out. Overall though, I’d be happy if someone shouted “nice shirt” at me today, I am in a very fetching black-and-red flannel check bona fide design classic :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Gee, thanks!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.