Driver gets cut off and his car nearly tips over

I got sued in a similar situation. Small accident with another driver and she drove her car away with a minor dent in the driver’s side fender. A year later, she sued me for extensive damage to the other side of the car. My insurance company theorized that she’d hit a stationary object and decided to wring the money out of me.

Sadly, even with the police report from the original accident showing that I could not have possibly wrecked her entire passenger side and half the front end, my insurance determined it was cheaper to pay her off than to take her to court. So they paid her and dropped me.

3 Likes

Hey Nathan. Thanks for the reply. If you can maintain that speed in snow then more power to you and watch out traffic… I was wondering if he was or was not following the letter of the law and what actual speed he was going. Note my comment about the rain, risk of sliding, and my gut feeling that he was going too fast. Also note that nowhere in my comments do I say he is innocent, nor guilty. Anyone who has any experience on wet roads would have slowed down much sooner I think. I additionally do not think the driver even noticed the person pull out as I cannot discern any slowing in the moments before it happens.

I’m just going by my own feeling - as I was watching, I was going for my mental foot brake
Strictly speaking, it’s the other driver’s fault for crossing a solid line, but if the driver who got hit, was going a bit slower he could have stepped on the brake and avoided it.
(I’ve been driving for forty years and have had only one minor accident).

But I did have something similar nearly happen, I was heading to make a right turn on an intersection and knew the light was going to change so I sped up and at the last moment a pedestrian stepped in the traffic. It was all I could do to stop in time. I like the maxim “leave a little earlier, drive a little slower, and you’ll live a little longer” Conversely the most dangerous driving is when someone is in a hurry.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.