Drivers are successfully not dying in their Ford-made vehicle, thanks to this one simple trick

Well that and it’s usually cheaper to buy screws from a company that makes billions of screws vs trying to do it all in house.

One reason Tesla costs so much and is one of the challenges in their engineering and creation is so much of it is done in house and so the scale of production is limited.

2 Likes

Reverse acronym: Driver Returns On Foot.

6 Likes

If you don’t have time to go to the dealer for this just send the steering wheel to them.

7 Likes

Every NASCAR Ford has a detachable steering wheel. Racing improves the breed!

1 Like

My grandfather’s one joke was:
What’s the most dangerous part of a car?
The nut that holds the wheel!

Turns out…

11 Likes

And there I was, about to put another Ford on top to steer with.

3 Likes

Can
Hear
Every
Valve
Rod
On
Lifter
Every
Time

6 Likes

Yep, that’s the version I learned from parents as a kid. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I remember hearing a similar story when the Ford Escape was a newer model (2001). I was shopping for a car, and the number of recalls was so high, it seemed like they chose that name for a reason. So, I escaped from the dealership and bought something else.

1 Like

No lookie…

By not driving them?

1 Like

You still gotta take it home on a flatbed

5 Likes

Say, whatever happened to those millions of Japanese cars where high-end steel was specified, but low end steel may have been supplied and the records were falsified?

2 Likes

F___ing
Out
Right
Disaster

2 Likes

I took my old Bronco II in for a repair once and the guy pointed at the Ford badge and said, “well, there’s your problem!” It was pretty funny.

3 Likes

Do you really have to ask?

When you’re a high volume automaker like Ford even miniscule savings add up mightily. A savings of, say, $0.02 per unit for 10m rivets is $200k saved.

Of course you’re also making a bet these savings won’t result in a catastrophic problem requiring an expensive recall.

5 Likes

My favorite car related backronym is the one for Lotus I heard on an episode of Top Gear: Lots of Trouble, Usually Serious.

6 Likes

A buddy of mine had this old shitbox of a car, and the steering wheel was no longer actually bolted on. It stayed there by means of friction and gravity, but if you gave it a tug, it would come right off. He used to carry a wrench that fit the central bolt thingie, which he could alternately use to steer with.

So every once in a while he’d be cruising along with someone who was not aware of this little quirk. He’d say “hey- can you take the wheel for a second?” and when they replied, he would pull the thing right off and hand it to them while quickly popping on the wrench.

Since nobody died, it was always good for a laugh.

7 Likes

“‘Bronco’ is too reminiscent of a celebrity fleeing justice. Let’s call its replacement, ‘Escape.’”

7 Likes

The old Fight Club equation: A times B times C equals X.

I wonder if the defective bolts came from China?

1 Like

A mistake is a mistake whether it is common or not. If you spell a command in a program incorrectly, the program will crash, and folks have no problem with accepting that. A news article is a program for introducing data to the readers’ brains; debug it before you run it.