Drivers are successfully not dying in their Ford-made vehicle, thanks to this one simple trick

You mean those itsy bitsy ishy squishy Mitsubishis?

You are the Oxford delegate for the Royal Society of Putting Things On Top Of Other Things, and I claim my £5!

1 Like
3 Likes

F Off, Rodney Dangerfield!

Okay, I made that one up.

2 Likes

You would be wrong about that.

At one point Apple had a problem with one of the iPod’s. They sound crackly after a little while, and it got worse over time. Turns out they were made with a ½¢ diode where they really should have had a 2¢ diode. Oddly Apple’s plans called for a 2¢ diode. Like Ford here Apple repaired these devices for free, I don’t remember if they actually issued a recall or if it was a silent service campaign.

Sometimes you can design it right, but if some part can be substituted that can’t be found in a post-assembly test, well sooner or later someone will try to substitute the cheaper part and pocket the money.

I don’t know that that happened to Ford here, but it has the same feel…

2 Likes

Full Of Rust and Dents

2 Likes

No, they’re really not. At all.

1 Like

What do you have for Vauxhall?

Gawd, yall are so literal!

What I meant (not being a prescriptivist) is that I wouldn’t be surprised if they become interchangeable, given how often the wrong one gets used, and how often readers likely don’t even notice the mistake, and it wouldn’t surprise me if for a LOT of writers and readers, they’ve basically become interchangeable.

Language does change, duh. Using “they” as as a singular pronoun also still grates against my ear a bit, but it’s become pretty much acceptable usage. Who knows, the same might happen with effect/affect.

What also bugs me, actually, is the “error” of saying, “I like that one better than that one,” instead of “I like that one more than that one.” I’m sometimes tempted to ask, “Really? So you’re not very good at liking the other one then?” I don’t, though, because as I said, I’m not a dick prescriptivist.

3 Likes

I don’t even know what that is to make fun of it :upside_down_face:

1 Like

My mom had a MGB in British racing green, she called it Peyote, the magic green button, had some great times in that car. At one point a tie rod broke suddenly sending her off the road. Luckily she had taken a different route home that day or she would have gone off highway 1 into the ocean.

Around the same time she couldn’t afford to fix her car (I don’t think it was the tie rod issue) so she borrowed a Subaru Justy from someone, it had a huge bubble in a tire that caused it to vibrate horribly. One day leaving the driveway the steering wheel came off in her hands, speed was low enough that she was able to just stop before hitting anything.

2 Likes

Years ago I would’ve expected a journalist to try to find out where the bolts came from. Nowadays everyone just repeats the already known facts.

1 Like

There was a report just the other day, saying that

One current Tesla engineer estimated that 40 percent of the parts made or received at its Fremont factory require rework

Tesla’s Fremont factory said the company’s defect rate is so high that it’s hard to hit production targets

2 Likes

As the former owner of a 128, “Fix It Again Tony” or “Fucking Incompetent Automotive Technology.”

3 Likes

I am awestruck.

1 Like

Steering wheels I’ve encountered have always been on a spline with a securing nut. Even if the nut fails you can keep the wheel pushed down on the spline and drive. Or is this some new fangled steering thing (articles spare the technical details).

2 Likes

I always thought I’d own Hondas for life but somehow have now ended up with two Fords. My 13 year old Ranger truck is great except the bed rusting out. CMax plug-in hybrid has also been great except the Microsoft touchscreen interface is buggy and terrible. It does have some other electronic bells and whistles that may or may not last, but we’ll see. No issues in several years with the electric or gas mechanical systems. Don’t quite expect it to go 250,000+ miles like my Civic did.

1 Like
1 Like

Come on, give the man some respect.

5 Likes