Driving a go-kart on a major freeway is a ticket-able offense, not a social media opportunity

Originally published at: Driving a go-kart on a major freeway is a ticket-able offense, not a social media opportunity | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Video link for the BBS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bVuQBCKp2A

7 Likes

Get a video of their faces as a crusher destroys their go-karts. And then of them in court paying off a huge-ass fine

5 Likes

How old were the kids? Old enough for a licence?

In UK this would result in several points on your driving licence, as it is a powered vehicle driven without insurance, registration etc
Even if you don’t have a licence, you can receive penalty points or be disqualified. DVLA will create a record for you and any convictions will be endorsed on that record. Even if you are too young to get a licence. Six points is halfway to disqualification.

(No link below because it was from The Sun)

Middlesbrough’s Cleveland Police has sent out a warning for one of last year’s best-selling gifts, after taking a 15-year-old boy to Teesside Magistrates Court for riding one of these scooters at a speed of between 30mph and 40mph inside a shopping centre, in the car park and on a dual carriageway.

Being underage, the child did not hold a driving licence but was still issued six penalty points

6 Likes

Driving a tiny short difficult to see vehicle too slowly at night on a freeway with large cars whizzing by?

Unknown-11

9 Likes

They should have been driving real cars.

Or maybe a Peel 50.

1 Like

LA freeways, no thanks.

5 Likes

It’s a 4 wheeled motorcycle that can only go 40mph and has no lights… I don’t see the problem?

5 Likes

A go-kart, on a highway, at night, with no lights - they’re damned lucky to be alive. That’s just a whole pile of dumb right there.

9 Likes

Yeah, that’s the way it works in most US states and at least here in NY, they are willing to take points off (penalize) your license for pretty minor stuff.

Also:

4 Likes

Ahhh…white privilege.

Ope, not so fast…

1 Like

Wow - not even a flag or lights? Good way to end up a streak of grease and shattered go cart bits.

4 Likes

Sort of like driving a lotus-catterham super 7 on a freeway.

1 Like

Oh, it’s likely both, unfortunately. My FB feed is filled with “Reels” (read Facebook desperately wanting to get them TikTok youngins) of people doing dance routines in the middle of mostly empty for the moment streets to get a nice background. Not as stupid as the reckless stunt in the video, but they all make me want to wave a cane in the air an tell those kids to get off my lawn and out of the street.

Jeebus Hfucking Christie on a cracker! If you want to kill yourself for the memes, at least do it in private and choose a method where you aren’t likely to ruin anyone else’s life in the process!

3 Likes

And I thought this guy was a dumbass. At least his version was a mildly entertaining form of reckless endangerment.

1 Like

It’s legal in Japan!

https://japandeluxetours.com/experiences/mario-kart-experience

3 Likes

July 4th weekend I was driving past a campground/mud pit when the traffic stopped. [two lane road, 60mph/100kph speed limit]. There was a woman with a kid on a 4-wheeler in the middle of the road.
Apparently, she chose to get on the highway, instead of staying in the neighborhood where the campground is located.

Hell, I nearly got crunched by a truck earlier today. The truck was maybe 100 yards behind me when I signalled a left turn from the left lane a couple hundred yards away from the actual turn.
I had to wait on oncoming traffic in order to make the turn & noticed the truck wasn’t slowing down.
So, I punched the gas & took off straight ahead… at the last moment, the truck driver flashed his lights, & swerved into the other lane. I was outrunning him by that time, so no harm done…
EXCEPT:
I hope he had to change underwear and couldn’t
And I hope his new nickname ‘Skunk’ follows him for the rest of his days.

2 Likes

Driving a go-kart on a major freeway is a ticket-able offense…

Go-karting down a minor highway ain’t too smart, either. But anything seems reasonable if one is stoned or nutz enough.