Driving techniques for escape and evasion

Originally published at: Driving techniques for escape and evasion | Boing Boing

11 Likes

see also: Smokey And The Bandit Script - transcript from the screenplay and/or Burt Reynolds and Sally Field movie

9 Likes

It has always been my dream to take an evasive/defensive driving course like they give cops and .gov people. The slight hiccup with that is that I drive a stick-shift RWD Miata, and those courses generally use giant heavy automatic sedans. I really badly want to learn with a similar car to my own (but not my own, because it’s 19 years old). :grin:

10 Likes

thanks but i already drive like this.

14 Likes

I did this on my commute daily, on a motorcycle no less. Hung up my freeway spurs for the easy life now that the retirement is on me.

10 Likes

Your Miata would be fun on a slalom/autocross/gymkhana course. Regular cars can compete. Some performance driving courses use similar cars to the Miata.

I’m still gonna call the Moonshiner’s Turn “The Rockford”.

20 Likes

Try that with modern tyres and suspension, and I reckon you’d just reverse into the nearest wall. Now I wanna watch the Rockford Files tho. And then maybe Marlowe for good measure.

10 Likes

Of course, big American RWD automatics are mostly gone at this point, but if you can control a big RWD car, a Miata will be that much more controllable, especially with a manual.

My first out-of-college car was a first-generation RX-7, and while I don’t miss the manual choke, exotic spark plugs and ignition parts, or my particular engine’s propensity to eat starter motors, the rest of the car was a blast to drive. I miss that kind of handling, but a Miata isn’t practical for me.

7 Likes

Awww, that was on my LIST as a younger person. I ended up with a '77 Datsun 200SX, which was still FAR more car than I should have had at 17. It took a flogging. I replaced that with an '88 CRX, and have still never owned a car with more than two doors.

12 Likes

From the annals of too much personal information, I have the questionable honor of having witnessed an actual demolition derby staged at the former Air Force base on Nantucket some time in the 90s. The obvious clash of perceived cultures was enhanced by the fistful of mushrooms I was enjoying at the time. It being an island, there were a lot of remarkable old cars that had been kept running well past any reasonable expectation of safety, and plenty of folks who could weld and wrench the beasts into submission despite the salt air. Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

9 Likes

Excerpt from page 11…
Use right turn signal but then turn LEFT.

5 Likes

Gotta love the rotary Wankle

5 Likes

Ol’ James Garner used to do the driving stunts too

4 Likes

The now-long-gone Santa Fe Speedway in Chicago’s southwest suburbs had demolition derbies on a regular basis, with teams. Another good one was the Figure-8 race.

♫Only one speedway, with a track of clay…♫

Eventually, the track was history, with the last races run in 1995 and the track demolished in 1998. Before-and-after can be seen in Google Earth Pro at 41.723512°, -87.906136° with the time slider. The official excuse was fear of litigation, but I suspect the owners wanted to get into the real estate business.

Route 66 Raceway is much further out, but they built a clay track to bring back the tradition.

4 Likes

Then I assume you have an emergency brake lever that allows you to do handbrake turns.

6 Likes
3 Likes

We actually learned that one in Drivers Ed when I was in high school in the midwest. It was hard on the school’s instruction cars, but great with my mom’s tricked-out Plymouth Barricuda.

Decades later I failed the UK driving test the first time I took it because I didn’t put the hand brake on at every point in a three-point turn. Very different driving culture.

5 Likes

Bad Cat Wtf GIF

11 Likes

This guy is my spirit animal.

2 Likes

In Car Wars (Steve Jackson Games), it’s immortalised as the Bootleg Reverse. Yes, I still have a box full of my old Car Wars maps, counters, and so on.

3 Likes