Drone pilot spots man sunbathing atop 200-foot-tall wind turbine

I am surprised they give him access. If the school had an electricity substation would the monks have the keys too?

Oh god, how can he bare to be up there? Surely heā€™s suffering:

• Headaches
  • Dizziness
  • Nervousness
  • Fear
  • Increased heart rate
  • Sleeplessness
  • Other generic symptoms
3 Likes

Tell me again why we arenā€™t allowed to blast these pests from the skies?

Thatā€™s a bit harsh, he was just trying to find a peaceful place to relax. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

You could try this one though:

2 Likes

Only someone like myself and, apparently, you, who went to Catholic school would have cracked that oneā€¦ thanks for the chortle!

1 Like

On the contrary, like many of us who enjoy great heights, perhaps heā€™s feeling peace, calm, solitude, contentment, wonder, awe and enjoyment at the spectacular view that few have the pleasure of experiencing that high in the open.
Until the drone, that is.
He may then start to feel some of the symptoms you describe, Iā€™d imagine.

No rails, and the thing slants, and itā€™s 200 freaking feet off the ground.

Just looking at him up there makes me a bit dizzy. I canā€™t even begin to comprehend how someone could want to do that.

Being that high up with what appears to me to be not a single goddamn thing to grab onto, Iā€™d be pretty much paralyzed.

I would probably be fine climbing up to the hatch, but you wouldnā€™t find me climbing up out of the hatch so that Iā€™d have nothing to hold onto/be roped into.

Iā€™m fine with heights, but Iā€™m very much not fine with precipices and no railings. In fact Iā€™m pretty sure the only thing about heights that scares me is the strong and unignorable impulse to throw myself off the precipice when I encounter it. The height isnā€™t whatā€™s scary. Whatā€™s scary is that I have ADHD and have a difficult time controlling my impulses as it is, and a precipice always sparks an insane and almost hypnotic urge to jump.

5 Likes

Yeah then there is all the moving parts inside the turbine, high voltages, noise hazards. You can see that the weather is quiet but I wonder why he has access if its not his job to maintain the thing,

I toured a windfarm in eastern Washington last summer. As I remember, the gearing and moving parts were very compact. For a turbine of the size in this video it looked like all the moving parts were about the size of a V-8 truck engine, and then the transmission lines came out the back. Heā€™d probably not have to worry about spinning mechanical transmissions etc. to get pinched with, but the live lines probably would be right there, visible from the ladder.

Those blades are amazingly light for how massive they are volumetrically, which makes perfect sense. Youā€™d want the lightest blades possible so that the smallest air currents could push them around. They had a demo blade just sitting out front of their facility, and my dad and I could lift it between the two of us with some effort even though the blade was about 50 feet long.

Why would you assume that itā€™s NOT his job to maintain the turbine?

I looked him up. His email starts brojoe@ā€¦ I hope heā€™s as awesome as that email address would suggest.

3 Likes

I like to imagine he lives inside of it.

2 Likes

It wasnā€™t the height that concerned me (although it would concern me personally) rather how is it possible he is overcoming wind turbine syndrome? He must be some kind of a superbeing!

1 Like

It is his job. His name is Brother Joseph and he was a bit annoyed at what happened. He climbs up there every morning to pray at sunrise, apparently.

Because as a minister of religion he already has a job, and to work on heavy engineering properly you really have to make it your career. Its possible that he is there legitimately but I reckon he just got his hands on the keys and promised use them responsibly.

I know of farmers here in Australia who lease their land to power companies for wind turbines but they definitely donā€™t get to fiddle with the turbines whenever they want to.

I donā€™t know if itā€™s just me, but the wind turbine looks somehow fake in the first part of the video. Something with the shadows and contrast.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.