Drums of War

4 Likes
5 Likes
6 Likes

Previously
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/slovakia-gives-s-300-air-defence-system-ukraine-prime-minister-2022-04-08/

6 Likes
5 Likes

What, no “Made in Taiwan” jokes?

3 Likes
5 Likes

Would you settle for an “Intel Inside” sticker?

4 Likes

Well, it seems like someone has finally come out on top in the struggles between rival gangs (and I do wonder how accurate that term actually is to describe who was part of these groups?). He’s now calling for the acting PM to step down or risk civil war (which I don’t know if that’s a threat or just an accurate assessment of the ongoing events)… And still no action or help from the international community, despite promises of help from Kenya a while ago now.

4 Likes
4 Likes

Some more on Cherizier and the ongoing situation in Haiti…

It mentions that he’s directly under sanctions for his actions as leader of the G9:

https://www.un.org/securitycouncil/content/jimmy-cherizier

And they say this in the CNN article about him:

After a very brief interview where Cherizier laid out his vision for Haiti

I’m very curious WHAT his vision is, actually? And then there is this comment (in the google news thingie):

So, I’m wondering if it’s problematic to use “gang” here when describing these groups and this guy specifically. Why are they doing what they are doing is not really being addressed at all, other than he’s trying to tear down (an obviously and patently corrupt) system… that actually does matter. But the American and European media is not going to address that, carrying on with their refusal to treat Haiti as a normal country under any circumstances (and ignoring their role in breaking the place, too).

5 Likes

This sent me down a bit of a rabbit hole. Looks like G9 supported the previous government whose leader was assassinated, and the guy who took over is believed to have been involved in the plot. Cherizier was loyal to the previous government.

After the assassination of Jovenel Moïse, on 7 July 2021, the G9 started to help the government in the manhunt against the 28 foreign perpetrators. After the assassination, Ariel Henry, who is believed to be linked to the killing, became acting president of Haiti.

After the death of his suspected ally Moïse, G9 leader Jimmy Chérizier increasingly voiced political ambitions and began to openly opposing the Haitian government of Henry.

Chérizier was a member of the national police at the time of the assassination, but left when the new guy took over. To me, it looks like basically a civil war, but gets written off as ‘gang violence’ in the press, perhaps because the history is pretty complex and that’s easier, I guess. There’s a pretty decent description on Wikipedia, where the quotes above are from.

5 Likes

Interestingly, this just popped up on my phone notifications What's behind the violent power struggle in Haiti — and what experts say Canada should do about it | CBC News

4 Likes

Oh! thanks for doing the research!

Seems about right, plus it feeds that old racist narrative about failed Black states, too and the African diaspora more generally…

5 Likes
2 Likes

Discourse doesn’t allow the same user to post more than twice in succession. Can someone please post in this thread so that I don’t have to keep adding to this post?

6 Likes
4 Likes
5 Likes
2 Likes
4 Likes