Watch out! We are surrounded by 46 wars right now, according to Fox News

Originally published at: Watch out! We are surrounded by 46 wars right now, according to Fox News | Boing Boing

8 Likes

tumblr_127c5c469b973c72e244c3ab5cf0228a_7e65029d_500

44 Likes

No wonder people are paranoid. Everything is a fucking “war” now…
From Wikipedia:

War is an intense armed conflict [a] between states, governments, societies, or paramilitary groups such as mercenaries, insurgents, and militias. It is generally characterized by extreme violence, aggression, destruction, and mortality, using regular or irregular military forces.

I think we’re far from that definition, so let’s move on.

26 Likes

They don’t mention the War on Drugs, who won that one? (I know the US didn’t win many battles, but they took an awful lot of prisoners.)

44 Likes

And don’t get me started on the “war on oats!”

28 Likes

giphy

17 Likes

Don’t forget the war on pigs. Or something.

22 Likes

Time to start the war on mislabeling things “war.”

38 Likes

What if this is a war on the word war itself? What if being anti-war is now a meta linguistic position?

It used to be we tried to obfuscate the reality of war. Now war itself has become the hight of political doublespeak. It’s become so absurd that Orwell himself would have thought it too much of a stretch.

8 Likes

Yep. The Mexican, Philippine, and Bangladesh drug wars are three of those 46 (source)

We haven’t had a good -gate scandal recently. Maybe we can call it Wargate!

12 Likes

Asking in a completely non-snarky way… but did this device start w/ Johnson’s “War on Poverty”?

1 Like
22 Likes

Alcohol manufacturers.

9 Likes

What about the War on War?

14 Likes

Relevant point from Eco on Ur-Fascism:

1. Pacifism is trafficking with the enemy. “For Ur-Fascism there is no struggle for life but, rather, life is lived for struggle.”

The sado-populists to whom Faux News panders are nothing without eternal wars.

21 Likes

What is it good for?

46 different things!!

29 Likes

I can get behind some of these wars; cars, plastic straws, sexually repressed religions, meat, hog dogs, suburbs, styrofoam.

11 Likes

Toxic masculinity.

But you’ll have to pry the hot dogs out of my cold, dead hands!

10 Likes

Oh, you can have hot dogs all you want.

As long as you don’t enjoy them with a bun. Fnord.

6 Likes