Drums of War

5 Likes

:sob:

3 Likes

“The space domain is much more challenging today than it was a number a number of years ago,” said Air Force Gen. Charles “CQ” Brown, chairman of the joint chiefs of staff, in an event Wednesday hosted by the Atlantic Council. “We looked at it as a very benign environment, where you didn’t have to worry about conflicts in space. As a matter of fact, naming space as a warfighting domain was kind of forbidden, but that’s changed, and it’s been changed based what our adversaries are doing in space.”

I have to suspect that if Russia and China are militarizing LEO, we are as well. It’s not just our adversaries doing it.

ETA: Just in case it doesn’t register,

5 Likes

Jada Pinkett Smith Periodt GIF by Red Table Talk

4 Likes
4 Likes
3 Likes

Biden highlights US commitment to Israel, Ukraine, Indo-Pacific in West Point speech

1 Like
2 Likes

Unpossible. Beloved leader’s glorious rockets never fail!

4 Likes
5 Likes
5 Likes
5 Likes

United Nations Special Representative of the Secretary-General for Children and Armed Conflict:

The opposition Syrian National Army, including Ahrar al-Sham and Army of Islam, and their aligned legions and factions, Sign Action Plan to End and Prevent the Recruitment and Use and Killing and Maiming of Children

2 Likes
6 Likes

Drums from yore

[Martha Gellhorn Was The Only Woman to Report on the D-Day Landings From the Ground | Smithsonian (smithsonianmag.com)]

5 Likes
4 Likes

I hope that Biden will take the opportunity of this speech to remind people of the terrible costs of allowing fascism to creep into public life – not only abroad (which he will re: Ukraine) but also at home in the U.S.

I’ll also post this fine piece of writing by Andy Rooney, which I re-read every year on this anniversary.

Because it was part of my life, I’d like to say something about D-Day. I don’t know how to say it any differently than I did in a book I wrote called “My War.” If you are young and not really clear what D-Day was, let me tell you. It was a day unlike any other. There have only been a handful of days since the beginning of time on which the direction the world was taking has been changed for the better in one 24-hour period by an act of man. June 6th, 1944 was one of them. What the Americans, the British, and the Canadians were trying to do was get back a whole continent that had been taken from its rightful owners by Adolf Hitler’s German army. It was one of the most monumentally unselfish things one group of people ever did for another.

No one can tell the whole story of D-Day because no one knows it. Each of the 60,000 men who waded ashore that day knew a little part of the story too well. To them, the landing looked like a catastrophe. Each knew a friend shot through the throat, shot through a knee. Each knew names of five hanging dead on the barbed wire in the water 20 yards offshore. Three who lay unattended on the stony beach as the blood drained from holes in their bodies. They saw whole tank crews drown when the tanks rumbled off the ramps of their landing craft and dropped into 20 feet of water. There were heroes here no one will ever know because they’re dead. The heroism of others is known only to themselves.

Across the channel, in allied headquarters in England, the war directors, remote from the details of death, were exultant. They saw no blood, no dead, no dying. From the statistician’s point of view, the invasion was a success. Statisticians were right. They always are, that’s the damned thing about it.

On each visit to the beaches over the years, I’ve wept. It’s impossible to keep back the tears as you look across the rows of markers and think of the boys under them who died that day. Even if you didn’t know anyone who died, your heart knows something that your brain does not. You weep.

If you think the world is selfish and rotten, go to the cemetery at Colleville-sur-Mer overlooking Omaha Beach. See what one group of men did for another on D-Day, June 6th, 1944.

6 Likes
6 Likes

Elections have consequences.

3 Likes
4 Likes