Drums of War

5 Likes
3 Likes
1 Like
1 Like
1 Like
4 Likes

“ McCullin now particularly enjoys photographing the landscape near where he lives in Somerset, saying it “gives you back something, and it doesn’t cost anything, and you’re not stealing anything as I’ve done with my life. I’ve been stealing other people’s suffering with my camera. And it’s brought me a certain amount of recognition, which I feel deeply uncomfortable about.”
:sleepy:

4 Likes
2 Likes
4 Likes

Posted about an hour ago…

I don’t know if at this point it’s a “drums of war” event or if it’s just a tragic accident…

5 Likes

5 Likes

Iran’s president and foreign minister killed in helicopter crash - state media
President Ebrahim Raisi, Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian and several others are confirmed to have been killed in Sunday’s helicopter crash in north-western Iran, state TV says.

6 Likes
5 Likes
4 Likes
2 Likes

Most morning newspapers in Finland headline reports that Russia intends to unilaterally expand its maritime border in waters close to Finland and Lithuania.

Helsingin Sanomat points to reports in number of Russian media outlets on Tuesday that published the draft of a government decree by the Russian Ministry of Defence expanding Russian territorial waters in the eastern Baltic and in areas between Russia’s enclave of Kaliningrad and Lithuania. It was reported that the decree could enter into force in January 2025.

Ryhor Nizhnikau, a senior researcher fellow in the EU’s Neighbourhood and Russia Programme at the Finnish Institute of International Affairs, told the paper that if implemented the move would create a new “grey area” on the Russian-Western border, which Russia could potentially use militarily for various provocations and disruptions.

According to HS, the Russian Defence Ministry argues that it believes that the current 1985 nautical charts are not fully accurate and do not reflect the “current geographical situation”, and as a consequence, the maritime zones adopted by the Soviet Union some 40 years ago should in part be “invalidated”.

The paper notes that the unilateral revision of maritime zones is not a matter of notification from the point of view of international law and the United Nations.

“It is worth remembering that in 2015 Russia claimed ownership of the North Pole and the surrounding areas,” Arkady Moshes of the Finnish Institute of International Affairs pointed out to Helsingin Sanomat.

At the time, Russia submitted an application to the UN claiming 1.2 million square kilometres of territory around the North Pole.

“The application was not recognised and in practice the whole thing was forgotten,” Moshes recalled.

A communications spokesperson for the Finnish Foreign Ministry told HS that official comments would be made “during office hours on Wednesday”.

6 Likes
4 Likes
6 Likes
5 Likes

A US Navy carrier strike group locked in a Red Sea battle has fired over 500 munitions fighting the Houthis

2 Likes