Drums of War

Wallace Shawn is a treasure too. I’ve been letting his work (movies, plays, essays) prick my conscience for at least a couple of decades now.

3 Likes

So we are going to “war”, are we? And how do we get out of this war once we have started it? Any plans, anyone? What if there’s a gigantic screw-up, which wars do tend to usually produce? What happens then?

1 Like

Buy tins of beans, and the heaviest duty plywood you can find, and set up camp under the kitchen table.

If its any consolation it appears they have been working on carefully warning the Russians so that the risk of THERMONUCLEAR WAR is somewhat reduced. Clearly it would be bad if in an effort to save face (May, Trump and Macron) half of the planets population ended up dying. But on the plus side, the policy of requiring the Russians to “pay a price” for aid to Assad will have been very effectively implemented. And we can all say we have “strong” leaders.

I’m hearing tonight, but the guys that told me that also told me it would be last night.

OOPS TOO LATE

2 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes
2 Likes

4 Likes
2 Likes

This is a thought, but part of the reason for the war crimes in Iraq was the low recruitment numbers leading to a general loosening of requirements to join and relying on private paramilitary forces. Something like a military strike would be more effective, but there is a lot of risk in doing so.

:musical_note: No more deluded by reaction,
On tyrants only we’ll make war!
The soldiers too will take strike action,
They’ll break ranks and fight no more!
And if those cannibals keep trying,
To sacrifice us to their pride,
They soon shall hear the bullets flying,
We’ll shoot the generals on our own side. :musical_note:

2 Likes

Interesting thread on US military demographics:

1 Like
1 Like

For a lighter note: the infamous Steve1989MRE just got his hands on some 120 year old beef.

Amazingly, he still isn’t dead.

3 Likes

Once upon a time there was a “peace movement.”

Now there is nothing left but a sort of bourgeois NIMBYism:

petition

5 Likes

https://twitter.com/avantgarcia/status/984978608723779584

1 Like

So they don’t like the sound of freedom? /s

2 Likes
1 Like

Courtesy of the second-largest army in NATO. And their ISIS proxies.

1 Like