Drums of War

Brothers of the buzz! While back then I met lots of white pride skinheads, since then I’ve met lots more Jews who buzz or shave their heads.

1 Like

Oh, come now, when has arming people in contentious areas ever gone wrong?

3 Likes

Hold on, I don’t want to be impolite: does a BB thread count as semi-public enough that one needs at least an implict invitation to comment? I thought sealioning was about semi-public places, e.g. conversations on Twitter.

2 Likes

True, it was often both together.

Few things we agree on. This is one of them.

It’s Lea Delaria. She plays Big Boo on the Netflix show Orange is the New Black (do they stream that in Netflix Japan? They must). She’s awesome… And apparently a jazz musician, which I didn’t know, but she’s from Illinois, so I have no clue if she is the same as your friend (I know you’re from Texas originally):

Indeed. I do try to be open minded and not prejudge people, at the same time I’m trying to be aware of the signals people send out by their mode of dress, etc (especially since I have professional interests in such things). I’m actually currently sporting something of an undercut and for a while back in the late 90s I had something similar, with my head half shaved. I do think that those sorts of hair cuts are much more mainstream and less likely to be associated with one group of people or another. Those old school semiotics of subcultural dress can still have the same meanings they used to, but more people are now wearing those cuts who don’t identify with them. In the postmodern world, cultural goods seem more likely to be free-floating from it’s original intended meaning…

Christ, I sound like Barthes now!

7 Likes

Yay!

OK not my friend from NYC in 92 then. I’ve never sean that show. Also I’m not from TX originally, I just spent part of childhood through college there.

Though I despise the word “postmodern” I do agree that lots of signals are now diluted past meaning. Far more so here where I live now. What minor signaling there is changes so fast that by the time its (((identified))) its already gone.

2 Likes

If we can’t agree on the topic of neo-nazis, what can we agree on? :wink:

It’s a good show, about a women’s prison. The main character is annoying as hell (which I think you’re meant to feel that way), but fortunately, the secondary cast is stellar, including Delaria.

Ah… my bad.

That’s the thing, I think the early academics who deployed it were using it to criticize some of these things rather than to celebrate it. Guy Debord, society of the Spectacle and all that.

It seems like Japanese youth culture is very adept at adopting new trends and having them out on the street pretty quickly.

It’s weird having a kid growing up with that, actually. Her formative experiences with youth culture are entirely different from mine and my husbands, while ours were probably more similar to our parent’s generation. Strange days.

1 Like

I’ve heard of it, just watch less and less TV so don’t feel motivated to go back and watch it from the start.

No worries, I can’t expect people to keep track of that stuff.

Its not just youth culture and its not even new. Its pretty clear that since at least the Edo era, fashions come and go across all age groups. But from what I can figure its mostly surface stuff. With a few rare exceptions do external signs signal anything but fashion.

And I thought ‘Liberal Preppers’ only lived on the pages of Lands End catalogs.

4 Likes
13 Likes

mlp-fim-pinkie-pie-rimshot

4 Likes

More complete and utter knee jerk bullshit

I swear that his base are just some dumb fucks sitting around a coal fired stove spitting chewing tobacco into the coals and watching it turn to steam for amusement.

5 Likes

Seriously. Shut the fuck up, Donny.

5 Likes

On the bright side, there is very little chance that North Korea will actually attack any US territory.

On the less bright side, that has never been an impediment in the past when the US wants to start a war. America is the Han Solo of diplomacy.

5 Likes

6 Likes

Ollie North chimes in:

Here is North’s 10-point plan to convince Xi to jump in.

1. “Press South Korean President Moon Jae-in and the Republic of Korea to bring in as many THAAD systems as we can deliver.”

2. “Ask Israel to provide Iron Dome or even David’s Sling systems to the Republic of Korea to deal with the North Korean artillery on the DMZ.”

3. “Return the tactical nukes to the Republic of Korea that we withdrew back in the 1990s. Thank you, Mr. Clinton.”

4. “Deploy another carrier strike group to the region and more long-range strike aircraft and air tankers to Guam and Okinawa.”

5. “Deploy search and rescue assets.”

6. “Here, try this: Ask Xi if we can base some of our SAR assets in China to recover the air crews. It’s unlikely he’s going to agree, but it may wake up the Politburo in Beijing.”

7. “Deploy the hospital ships Mercy and the Comfort from Norfolk and San Diego, send them out there, very clear signal America’s getting ready to act.”

8. “Deploy another U.S. Marine and Navy expeditionary unit to the region.”

9. “Deploy more ISR, Intelligence Surveillance Reconnaissance satellite [inaudible] and update our target list. That will leak in Washington, believe me.”

10. “Deliver biological and chemical weapons protection equipment to the Republic of Korea and pray that Xi sees the light.”

1 Like

better-call-saul-mike-swell

4 Likes

Wanderfound’s one-point plan for avoiding war with North Korea: don’t start a war with North Korea.

8 Likes

A good listen over on WarOnTheRocks here.

"BOMBS OVER PYONGYANG? THE WINDOW’S ALREADY CLOSED"
VAN JACKSON AND MIRA RAPP-HOOPERAUGUST 9, 2017

“(They) discuss research that highlights the theories and risks of preventive attacks against North Korea, and urges making the avoidance of nuclear conflict the foremost policy goal for the Korean Peninsula.”

3 Likes

Seems like Trump is gambling the chances of full-scale nuclear escalation and an Asian-American armed conflict on his ability to bully North Korea into submission. He keeps escalating the rhetoric – this morning he declared that America is “locked and loaded” and ready for North Korea to make the first move – banking that Twitter bullying will de-escalate tensions with a guy known to enjoy watching his relatives being decimated by a barrage of anti-aircraft guns fired at close range.

Unfortunately Trump is not the kind of guy to back down. So options for not starting a war are a little limited now.

3 Likes

The Kim regime are not going to commit suicide by giving up their only defence. China does not have the ability to force them to do so, even if they have the inclination.

China could, if they chose, create another famine. That’s all.

2 Likes