Drums of War

The US has been at a state of war with North Korea for the past 60 years or so, so it’s a bit late for that.

2 Likes

Well, there’s a state of on-and-off saber-rattling with occasional cease-fires, and then there’s nuclear-weapon conflict with the potential loss of millions of lives, which is what I’m calling “war” in this case. The world’s gotten used to the Kim regime enjoying its position as designated clown/bully, and it’s sort of an open secret that ignoring them seems to work pretty well. We’ll find out soon if losing patience and trying to shout them into submission works or not. I’m guessing not.

3 Likes
1 Like
4 Likes

It’s pretty bad when you end up in a situation where Kim Jong Un gets to look even remotely like the reasonable one…

6 Likes

He was never going to attack anyway.

Despite the flamboyant rhetoric, the consistent message from North Korea has been “if you attack us, we can retaliate”.

So don’t attack.

3 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like

Trump will make an announcement tomorrow about Afghanistan. The talking heads on TV are speculating he will announce an increase in troops on the ground there. Sigh.

2 Likes
1 Like

Talking Points Memo always has some interesting and well-informed perspectives on politics, and there are two articles up there now that point out 1.) Trump isn’t going to change, he can’t move to the left politically, and his personality won’t allow him to admit defeat or apologize, and 2.) his damaged, volatile personality is why he will always aggressively lash out at others. He’s a bully who is not afraid of tearing everything down to satisfy his own whims.

How much control Trump has over the “nuclear briefcase” I don’t know, but I thought about it when I read this quote:

“Trump will clearly, happily destroy the GOP if he feels the party has
proven disloyal to him. Given what’s happened, it would be richly
deserved. But Trump’s greatest powers are not as head of the GOP but as
head of state of the country. He would happily destroy the country too
to sate his own anguished feelings of betrayal. Sound hyperbolic? Why
would the pattern be any different written on so large a canvass?”

6 Likes

Yep. Get ready. It’s happening. First a trickle, then a flood.

7 Likes

https://www.counterpunch.org/2017/08/21/the-lies-on-afghanistan/

6 Likes

The biggest lie is that the US military was at all capable in Afghanistan. I’m still convinced Iraq only happened because we were barely holding our ground versus a much smaller much poorer set of fighters after the initial battles. 2002 was a shitshow for our military, and almost all of the issues were because of the leaders of the military.

In the end, Rumsfeld used the Zapp Brannigan approach to very limited success. And given the aftermath, it was a complete failure.

4 Likes

Unabated.

1 Like

And undifferent events of the last how many years.

We can run out of bombs,bullets and bodies however.

3 Likes

Because fuck diplomacy, right? USA! USA! USA! #MAGA

(And I fail to see how all this penis waving with NK is doing anything to advance this supposed MAGA agenda…)

7 Likes