Drums of War

He seems to think MAGA means Make America Grrrrrrrr! Again.

5 Likes

I’m convinced that both he and many who voted for him consider all forms of penis waving to be an intergral element of MAGA.

5 Likes

This is pure paranoid hunch, so don’t hold me to it, but:

I don’t think that the Trumpists are actually planning to attack NK.

OTOH, I do think that they’re using it as part of their domestic Shock Doctrine campaign, and also as a way to distract attention from what they’re up to in the Middle East. Which involves attacking Iran.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised. A big buildup like we had for the post-911 Iraq attack certainly wouldn’t go over well.

Plus the Saudi proxies.

I doubt they’ll go while the fleet is stood down, though.

OTOH, freak out if you hear any buzz about shakeups in the USN officer corps.

3 Likes

https://mobile.twitter.com/stevenjgibbons/status/904198052336070656

5 Likes

Please tell me that they are not at war with the ground! That would be just silly.

1 Like

We have literally sent weapons inspectors to North Korea who returned in 2010 saying there is no doubt North Korea not only has nuclear weapons, but they are on track to have the most sophisticated nuclear weapons around. The idea that NK still cannot launch a “real” missile has been dangerous nonsense for decades propagated by neocons.

Of what value is propagating such nonsense to neocons?

worst case scenario: north korea gets nukes with icbms, starts threatening the us in return for concessions.Or sells nuclear capability to interested parties.

best case scenario: us can somehow avert this scenario(militarily?) before north korea actually designs, implements and deploys nuclear tipped iCBMs

needless to say the window of opportunity has now closed

Sovereignty is a two-way street. The US could stop deliberately antagonizing North Korea and creating purposeless conflict. It seems like a case of “This bee nest I am kicking around is really starting to be a problem for everybody.”

4 Likes

The United Staes doesn’t want to recognize North Korea’s sovereignty over Seoul and Pusan.

Korea has often been a peninsula divided into numerous camps.

How did we handle it before? The US position of having interests in the region is illegitimate imperialism that nobody else is obliged to entertain. This is all leftover policy from the Korean War, which was a lot of empty anti-Soviet, anti-China rhetoric. None of that is real statecraft of governance, it’s playground politics.

2 Likes

been reading the agitprop?

1 Like

No, I am not interested in “agitation”. I have read the US internal statements of its concerns and goals in the region, and am opposed to them. If my country picks fights with others under false pretext, and does so in my name, then the deciding conflict will be domestic. They are paid to run this country, not to have their own agenda.

1 Like

Why do you think that “running the country” excludes certain sovereign activities?

No idea. Probably because Bush I fucked up the diplomacy efforts with NK and Clinton made huge sustained advances that included reducing military pressure so it was profitable at the time. After 9/11 the “they are bluffing we should wipe them from the map” from the 90s became “they can’t even feed their people let alone have a missile reach the US.”

2 Likes

Late to the whole haircut discussion, but I first saw this in 1990 or so- in the co-op I was living in, a guy shaved his head because it was getting to be sweaty summer and he thought it would be comfortable. A Jewish woman gave him crap about it because of skinheads. This is back when the only people anyone knew who had q-ball heads were Telly Savalas, Yul Brenner, Patrick Stewart, and skinheads. And I feel like in the long run he was vindicated- the q-ball look eventually became somewhat fashionable, and no one in the states blinks an eye over a white guy with a shaved head anymore the way they did in the 80s. I think there’s a lesson there to be learned regarding speech and symbols and labels. No one made a conscious fuss about it, the power of the symbol just went away because enough other people were using it differently.

3 Likes

Ugh, Trumpsplainin’. I’m sure the South Koreans are waiting with bated breath for every pearl of Trump’s expert opinion on what they’ve been dealing with for many decades.

2 Likes