Drums of War

Cant see how this applies to Erik Prince. I may not agree with all his views or career, but can’t find any evidence of him being a Nazi sympathizer or white supremacist.

Its bullshit enough since that haircut is something I’ve seen on all sorts of people for a long time now.

Christ, I just went through this in detail. Enjoy whatever it is you are doing, and here’s your (you)

1 Like

I’m not personally applying it to Eric Prince. I’m explaining the concept of multiple points connecting a line.

No, this specific haircut is not an immediate signifier of someone being a potential Nazi sympathizer; I see it every day. Yes, many people who are known Nazi sympathizers or actual no-joke Nazis have this haircut and are cutting their hair that way as a specific reference to Aryan haircuts of the late 30s. Context is key.

1 Like

Right then, I think we’ve reached agreement.

If only someone had warned us! Oh, wait.

10 Likes

Well, perhaps you need to do a little more research and critical thinking about Mr. Prince and his band of Dominionist mercenaries.

Enlighten me then. Since you made the accusation in the first place, can you support it?

2 Likes

I fully expect @Israel_B to ignore and dismiss this based on the source, but for the benefit of the peanut gallery:

https://theintercept.com/search/?s=Prince

Yes, the US has been planning to invade North Korea for decades, because we are very keen to access their vast reserves of malnutrition, and all those cool statues of the Sungs.

3 Likes

Here’s hoping China can be the rational actor here. We’re counting on them…

2 Likes

kristin-wiig-laugh-cry

1 Like

Neo-nazi skinheads specifically get this cut because of it’s association with the third reich. Not everyone who gets this cut is a neo nazi, of course, but like white laces in doc martens, it has signaling value.

Then again, I’ve also seen a similar cut on Lesbians:

[ETA] Looks like I was late to this explanation party…

6 Likes

While you seem busy discussing the latest tweets, the possible next minister of foreign affairs in Germany is currently in the news with a statement that Germany (and the rest of the western allies) could just accept the current state in the Crimea.

Well, Thursday Next would have to say a thing or two about the Crimea, and Entspannungspolitik is a specialty here. However, wow. While everybody outside of Europe is staring at twitter, Guam and the Koreas, we might have quite some interesting discussion here… O_o

1 Like

Or because they are one of the last holdouts against global capitalism. I can’t cite them now, but I have read official US documents from the past few decades that have made no secret of a long game of steady pressure on North Korea to fold. For the same old ideological bugbear, that the state is “communist”, so cannot be allowed to survive. It sounds like hyperbole, but there are those in the US federal government who have insisted that the very existence of North Korea is a threat to US interests and the freedom of good people everywhere.

So, for better or worse, I agree that the US has been the instigators. The US has refused their sovereignty to run their own country. And if we haven’t had this agenda, I am very skeptical that these vague tensions would exist.

None of that is to say that I think that North Korea is good global citizen, or fair to their citizens. They are pretty terrible. The juche isn’t happening. But no doubt it has all been made worse by years of efforts to deliberately alienate and destabilize them for our own dubious reasons.

2 Likes

I mean, I know I shouldn’t be surprised at this point, but Christ on a pogo stick…

5 Likes

In the movie Amadeus. Wolfgang declares:

Oh, bello, bello, bello! Come on now, be honest. Wouldn’t you
all rather listen to your hairdressers than Hercules? Or Horatius?
Or Orpheus? All those old bores! people so lofty they sound as
if they shit marble!

It sounds like I should have a close, working relationship with my barber. And yet. I don’t. Hair is hair. it grows. And so every couple of weeks, you hop in to that chair. take off your glasses, and enter a fantastic world of blurred shapes, and hope for the best.

2 Likes

I buzz my head with clippers every five days or so, so that I don’t need to deal with hair. But even that is rife with political implications! Media hype in the 80s was that “skinheads” are all nazis, even though I have only met one or two who identified as such. In the US, a buzzed head seems to be commonly perceived as clean-cut - but in the UK, kids still get kicked out of school for shaving their heads.

That all ties in to how cultural/subcultural symbols and signage need to be indexed by time and place. To benefit from establishing context, rather than knee-jerk reactions, as we try to do with words. I think it hurts us to need to be reactionary, second-guessing our every gesture because it might remind somebody of something unsavory. There is a fuzzy boundary we negotiate where we risk moving from being empathically accommodating into the realm of allowing ourselves to be stereotyped and othered.

4 Likes

Well as they say, even a broken clock is right twice a day, so while I (predictably) have differences in opinion with The Intercept, I won’t outright ignore them.

To restate, I’m not someone who thinks mercenaries, however you want to call them, are a “good thing” for nation states to use/depend on for many reasons. Blackwater is problematic in particular as they seem to be the peak of the evolution of the mercenary business model. I’m well aware of the moral, ethical and legal problems there.

Now as to the content of the first podcast since that one seems to be the main of them all, the heaviest non-Blackwater related charge there from both BR & JS towards Erik Price is that of Christian supremacism. Honestly since Dominionism is a theological matter and since Erik Prince is self described as a Catholic, this isn’t all that surprising. Nonetheless theological arguments devolve very quickly.

JS takes this a bit further with the “… essentially, all Muslims were fair game” statement. This would seem to me to somewhat contradicted by Prince’s support of an orphanage in Afghanistan (as per Wikipedia, source there)

Still however, no charges of neo-Naziism or white supremacism from The Intercept as far as I read and I suspect that were there any such supportable charges, The Intercept would not pull their punches were that the case. Given that I am part of a target group of both neo-Nazis & white supremacists, those labels are not something I toss about lightly.

White laces? At one time it was just wearing oxblood color Docs. Oh I do wish the hateful would get their semiotics straight! :grin:

Is she some well known figure? From the face and haircut I’d peg that photo as a current version of my best friend back around 92.

No worries, probably neither of us are much into judging books by their covers or people by their looks.