Duckling feeds fish

[Read the post]

ā€¦ yā€™know, Iā€™m usually one of the first to chime in saying that people are just projecting their emotions onto an animalā€™s behavior in cases like this, but Iā€™ll be damned if I can think of an explanation for this beyond ā€œaww, the ducky wants to feed the fish.ā€

I hate to be ā€œthat guyā€, but I think it is just the standard duck behavior of wetting their food prior to eating it, and the duck being a duck doesnā€™t get that the fish are eating its food when it does it.

16 Likes

So, raccoons donā€™t wash their food and ducks donā€™t feed fish. This little ducky is simply moistening its dry ass offering so it can bolt it down the hatch. The koi are simply getting the chunks that float away as it sifts it through his little ducky mouth.

4 Likes

Aw phooey. I saw WITH MY OWN EYES that the widdle duckums is feedinā€™ the fishies and so thatā€™s what happened NA NA NA I CANā€™T HEAR YOU.

9 Likes

I think the duck is just trying to soften the feed with water before eating it, and the fish get the benefit of what doesnā€™t make it down the duckā€™s gullet.

3 Likes

Gazing into those gaping, gasping, voracious piscid void-maws(fullscreen, large monitor) and observing the occasional partial excursion onto the platform by the fish, I would like to voice an argument for the hypothesis that the duckling (we can call him ā€˜Wee Nevilleā€™) is attempting to appease the fish in order to be allowed to re-enter the water without risk of being horribly gnawed to death by ravening carp.

7 Likes

Not sure about this hypothesis of yours. Someone needs to tell Wee Neville that stirring the sharks up into a feeding frenzy before going for a swim isnā€™t usually the best strategy.

1 Like

It has potential if the feeding frenzy is on one side of the platform and you escape on the far side. Thatā€™s why he is attempting to maneuver the swarm during the course of the video.

1 Like

This duckling is smarter than the others that got eaten by the fish. As long as it keeps doing this, it is safe. Then we interbreed the smarter ducks and get smarter ducklings. And repeat, until you have a duckling army that can take on the world.

Soon, my pretties, soon. And then we will feed, oh yes.

2 Likes

Soā€¦youā€™re saying heā€™s using the food as a de-koi?

11 Likes

I think heā€™s keeping them fed so he doesnā€™t get eaten.

Carp (which is what koi are), gars, and other large fish will each ducklings. They even make duckling lures for fishing.

1 Like

i came to say the exact same thing.

this is a duck wetting its food, like all ducks do.
it more often then not chooses a place where the fish are not at when the choice is available.

those fish would eat that duckling in a second if they were a bit bigger.

http://www.safelyendangered.com/comic/ugly/

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.