Dude, tone your face

I expected this to be an article about some kind of facial workout routine to improve muscle tone.

11 Likes

I think it might depend on your skin type. I really like exfoliating, but I don’t buy anything special. I usually grind up some oatmeal and almonds really finely in the blender and just keep a jar in the bathroom. Put a little honey on the trouble spot, then rub the powder in there and rinse with warm water.
Sugar or salt in coconut oil works, too, but can make the shower really slippery.
Aside from basic soap, I think most specialty skincare products are scams, unless you need something medicated.

4 Likes

For those of us with sebhorrhaic dermatitis (think sticky dandruff with areas that become inflamed and raw if you don’t use a soap that has some caustic action), a good bar soap and application of a dandruff shampoo like Head & Shoulders directly to affected areas for 5 minutes helps a lot.

DermatitisSeborrheic_3

3 Likes

Yeah, but what does your business card look like?

4 Likes

There WAS one that had skincare products, with a line like “Men, now you can simplify your skin care routine, you only need these FIVE products”

They failed to realize that male Boing Boing readers use an average of 1 skin care product, with zero being next most likely, and somehow -1 coming in 3rd.

7 Likes

I grew up trained that it was uncivilized to not be consistent in taking a shower every fucking day. Ridiculous. It is beneficial to exfoliate the skin regularly. But coconut oil is all one needs to replace all the protective oils you’ve stripped away. No magic snake oil required to do simple jobs. Drinking plenty of water to maintain a decent level of hydration is beneficial to skin as well.

2 Likes

I was pretty sure it’s what gets deposited on the paper by a laser printer, but given the rest of this thread I think I might be wrong.

1 Like

This sounds like the same people that talk to me about the wonders of lip balm.

I use lip balm like once a year when it’s so cold my lip splits. Any other time my lips are just fine with their natural moisture because I don’t use a product that gives my body the idea that it doesn’t have to moisturize itself.

Oh the flip side my wife has amazingly soft skin. I contribute it more to the fact she drinks a gallon of water a day, rather than the basic lotion she puts on in the morning.

Also the #1 that keeps me from breaking out. Low stress and laying off the junk food. Being it’s 2020 I’ve had a lot of acne.

4 Likes

I barely even wash my face, unless I’ve remembered to take a shower, or it’s time for weekly stubble-scrape (or I’ve got, like, gravy on it or something). Seems fine.

1 Like

I am happy being Leatherface and I will continue doing me.

Is this the worst article ever on boing-boing?

2 Likes

Almost sounds like the monolog from American Psycho lol

3 Likes

Last week they ran an article slagging James Randi for being a big meanie to snakeoil salesmen.

This is just an obnoxious article. Rather than the libel they published last week.

3 Likes

Not sure about the US, but in Australia dead people can not be libelled or defamed.

2 Likes

It’s probably the same in the US. I don’t remember.

1 Like

Yep, I had been exfoliating to remove my facial sebhorrhaic dermatitis, but it had the side effect of inflaming it so that if I skipped a day (e.g. while camping) I got horribly flaky skin that resembled the guy in the original post. BTW if you want to try exfoliating just use cheap St Ives. I tried ten different expensive competitors and none worked as well.

My breakthrough was when my dermatologist diagnosed it as sebhorrhaic dermatitis and prescribed Ciclopirox (a prescription shampoo that works better than head and shoulders). I leave it on my face after washing with Ivory, while I wash the rest of my body. Since then no flakiness at all and no more scrubbing. And I can skip a few days with no problem. A bottle lasts more than a year because only a couple of drops are needed.

Before this, I had been experimenting with witch hazel, which I think is considered a toner. It is known to have similar effects as exfoliation without the downsides. It’s dirt cheap, yet a main ingredient in lots of expensive products. But it clogged my pores and ciclopirox worked better so it is no longer a part of my life.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.